[Solved] Line spacing: points vs. inches

Discuss the word processor
dhercher

[Solved] Line spacing: points vs. inches

Post by dhercher »

I'm familiar in Word with being able to set line spacing in terms of points, but to have the vertical and horizontal rulers be in inches. Based on my poking around so far in Writer, it appears that setting the rulers for inches means line spacing is also in inches, and vice versa if the rulers are set for points. Am I missing something?

Thanks very much.
Last edited by dhercher on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: Line spacing: points vs. inches

Post by RoryOF »

In OpenOffice one can mix one's measurements: if for example you enter any of 1in, 72pt, 25.4mm, 2.54cm these are all correctly interpreted by OOo. So it would be possible to set your master measurement units as you wish (inches?) and then adjust your line spacings by setting in your desired subunit (points?). The default measurement unit will be that of the master unit set, so you must specify a differing subunit explicitly, as shown above. I hope that helps (I also think in points!)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Maybe I can just repeat what RoryOF said, in a nutshell: You can leave Writer's "measurement unit" as inches, but set your line spacing in points by entering, for example, 14pt in the line spacing entry. Writer will automatically convert the value to inches as soon as you leave that field: 0.19"

And that's fine, as long as you don't need the line spacing to be exactly 14 points.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think if you wish the line spacing in acknak's example to be exactly 14 points (0.1944*") rather than 0.19" you should have _all_ your dimensions specified in points. For someone who is used to working in points this is not a great burden.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Right. That's it, precisely ;-)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23