Default super/subscript sizes

Discuss the word processor
pnm

Default super/subscript sizes

Post by pnm »

I'm using OO on a mac. Currently when I type super- or subscript in the Writer, it defaults to 58% of text size. I need it to always be 70%. Is there a way to change this default?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Default super/subscript sizes

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can change the relative font size on the Format, Character, Position, dialogue. The value that you enter there seems to be remembered by the dialogue even on closing and reopening OpenOffice or starting a new document.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
anton_kizilov

Post by anton_kizilov »

Well, I would like to continue this topic with a discussion of a problem, that I encountered using subscript/superscript hotkeys. After I changed relative size of subscript (as it was mentioned here, through Format, Character and Position), it hadn’t made any difference using hotkeys combination. Why it is so? Was it because I forgot to change something in Writer’s General options? Because all changes in relative size was properly saved. Or at least I think so.
Something similar I have noticed using OpenOffice Math. All the changes, which have been made and saved before in Format didn’t matter, as soon as new equation was written. It as if user corrected settings had not made prior to the default settings. Well, I’m puzzled and I need help.
I’m sorry for my English. It is not my native language after all. But I hope you have understood my problem well enough.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP, x86
RGB

Post by RGB »

You can create two character styles, based on Predefined and changing only the values on the "position" tab, and then assign custom keyboard shortcuts to them on Tools -> Customize -> Keyboard tab.
Remember to save that document as your default template.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
chromium

Post by chromium »

In a Paragraph style dialog, there is a tab "Position" that allows to set characteristics of super/subscripts. This is supposed to provide you with your custom default setting. Unfortunately, this does not work.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Hi,
Unfortunately, this does not work.
It is works for me.
But it sets the text "format" of the paragraph style (named: "Default"). This methode not set the manually formatted characters in the paragraph. (The clicking on a super/suscript menu item means: the format of modified characters are changed manually.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
chromium

Post by chromium »

Please confirm. You mean that the appearance of your super/subscript changes when you change the paragraph style, Position tab?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When you change the paragraph style on Position tab, the "default position" of text in the paragraph-style will change, but not the manually modified characters (super- or subscript format).

You need create and apply some user defined Character Style: for example MySuperScript and MySubScript style)

See the Character styles (F11) in my example file:
MySubSuperScript.odt
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
allanmacdonald

Post by allanmacdonald »

Hello,

I am also seeing this problem, on OOO 3.0.1 on Windoze XP and the suite application is scalc.

Here is what is happening to me: When I use the menus as follows:

Format -> Character -> Font Position->Subscript

The first time I use this feature since installation, the default relative font size setting for subscript is 58%. I can change it here to whatever value I want and then hit OK to apply the setting. If I bring this dialog up again, I can see that it remembered the relative font size I used last, even if I close the application and open it again. That's fine and I am happy with this behaviour.

Unfortunately, this method is awkward to use frequently. I need a shortcut.

So, I tried adding a toolbar button to my formatting toolbar. Unfortunately, the toolbar button does not use the same setting remembered above - it instead uses the "installed" default value which is 58%. I cannot find a way to change the setting that the toolbar button uses. I presume this is the same problem as one would have if trying to use a hotkey.

So, my question (and, as I see it, anton_kizilov's question) is this: why doesn't the remembered setting in the manual dialog get used for all subscript operations? It seems to me that the custom setting is remembered in the dialog box field rather than in some more global value. I believe that this, if not a bona fide bug, at least is an undesirable feature.

To me, creating a special style is merely a work-around. Is there a setting that can be changed, even if it involves editing a configuration file somewhere, that changes this default relative size for good?

Thanks in advance.
Allan Macdonald
OpenOffice 3.0.1 on WinXP
and OpenOffice V??? on Ubuntu 8.04LTS