How do I insert/embed video or YouTube video

Discuss the presentation application
DaveM

How do I insert/embed video or YouTube video

Post by DaveM »

I got phished off onto a OOo discussion board openoffice.org.uk which was filled with spam etc. :(

I see a existing thread concerning youtube but can't locate the starting post or the original replies. Therefor I am asking is it possible to embed videos or active youtube videos. How to do it?

I found a Power Point add-in that does this for PP but can find any information or tools for Impress.

Thanks,
acknak

Re: How do I insert/embed video or YouTube video

Post by acknak »

As far as I know, Impress does not support embedded player applications or Flash video files, so I think you're out of luck with this.

Can you simply show the video in a browser? Perhaps you can set up your own html page that embeds the player, so you can show only the video and not the rest of the YT page.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DaveM

Post by DaveM »

That is my current work around. Firefox has several excellent add-on that allow videos to be selected, clipped and inserted into blogs. It is a shame that there isn't a similar app to clip a video and make it a part of a Impress slide. For now I will stick to using hyperlinks.

Thanks,
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
sybille
Volunteer

Post by sybille »

If you use OOo with the GStreamer multimedia framework and the ffmpeg codec (gst-ffmpeg), you should be able to insert FLV format files into Impress and then play them with the integrated media player.

At least, it works fine for me on Linux. All I have to do is be sure to select "All files" when inserting media - the FLV files don't show up when "All movie and sound files" is selected (Insert -> Movie and Sound).

I think that in order to use GStreamer in OOo, you need a version that comes from Go-ooo. They do have binaries for Windows there, although I don't know that GStreamer is enabled, you'd have to try and see:
http://go-oo.org/download/

There are GStreamer binaries for Windows, too:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/pkg/windows/releases/
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/pkg/wi ... st-ffmpeg/
You may only need some plugin/codec packages/

Again, I don't know what may or may not be packaged with Go-ooo OpenOffice.org for Windows, so it might not work at all. But if you're wanting to use flash videos on a regular basis, it could be worth a try.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line. Thanks!
-------
About Ubuntu Linux
Zotero, for research and bibliography management with OOo.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + None needed :)
halh

Post by halh »

I use the free program, "Pazera Free FLV to AVI Converter 1.1" to convert the flv file to avi. You may have to select different conditions for the video codec. The setttings: WMV version 2 (WMP 8), 1300 kb/s all other selections Auto works for most flv files I have.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Praetor

Post by Praetor »

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but it was the first result by googling for flv and OOO Impress.

I have managed to insert flvs in a very simple way.

I use videodownloadhelper Firefox plugin to download flv file from youtube. The install K-lite codec pack with incorporated Media Player Classic (or Media Player Classic and the libavcodec codec). Then in OOO Impress, just do insert>movie and sound>flv file and voila! Incredibly simple, and no video conversions needed!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP-SP3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The particular fork of OOo Impress which does that is very important. Can you remember where you D/Led OpenOffice from?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
joren

Post by joren »

A very simple alternative is:

copy the youtube link of your browser and go to http://vixy.net/,
paste the youtube link in the box and an avi movie download of your youtube .flv file pops up.

That was for me the quickest way to get it into Impress.
 Edit: For the record: https://www.videoproc.com/resource/what ... o-vixy.htm. Hagar, Moderator. 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional information on broken link.
OOo3.1.1 with XP and Ubuntu