saving a table under new name

Creating tables and queries
bushwhacker

saving a table under new name

Post by bushwhacker »

If I want to save an existing table from current year so that I still have it, but save the data under a new name, so that I can modify it, but can't make the "save as" command work, what do I do. Eg: want to save data from "Club 2007" into a new "Club2008" table so I can update renewed memberships, etc, but still keep the last year's data.
bluebird

Re: saving a table under new name

Post by bluebird »

right click over the table
select edit copy
- then point you mouse to no table, click
- select edit past from the menu
- choose a new file name
- chose the data and definitions option
- double click on create

hope that works for you
bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker »

Whatever I am doing wrong, it doesn't work. When you say "right click over the table" do you mean with the table open? I don't seem to find the edit commands you specify.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Hi,

With the base window open select the Tables section.

Now right click on a table name on the list of tables. This brings up the context menu and you select copy.

Now right click on an empty spot in the area where the table names as listed.

Another context menu opens, and select Paste.

The opens the copy table wizard - just give your table a new name, select 'Definition and Data' click 'Create'

The data is copied into a new table.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker »

Everyting seems to work until I hit the Create, and then I get a message that says there has been an error, do I want to continue YEs/No. If I select yes and check the table created, I just have the headings with no data.
Bill
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

hmm...Is this a regarding Base file with the data embedded or this a Base file that connects to an external data source - Text files, Calc Sheet, dBase or MS Access?
bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker »

This is a table in OpenOffice database that I converted from a Microsoft Access table. Also, I noted tonight when I produced a report, although I have the table sorted alphabeticlly by last name, It sorts the report by the Auto Field number that the table was created in in Access.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Couple of things here.

The first is the sorting issue with the Report - sounds like a known issue with the Report Builder, if that is the way you are creating the report there is not much you can do - except perhaps not bring the auto generated pk field into the report at all. That issue is marked as 'to be fixed' for the 2.4 release or OOo.

Now for the table copy problem. The thing here is most likely a problem that the copy table wizard has when writing data to MS Access - the problem is that it often gets the data types incorrect. I am guessing here that you have a Base file 'CONNECTED' to a MS Access ( Jet ) database file, not that you actually imported any data into a Base database.

The easiest way to fix this is to change from an ADO connection to an ODBC connection. The CopyTableWizard seems to work better with ODBC.

In other words start a new Base file wizard, select 'Connect to exisiting database' as you did last time, but this time instead of selecting MS Access select ODBC and follow the prompts. If you don't know how to create an ODBC connection you can find help at the Microsoft website or just ask here and I'll help you with it.

Give that a try though and you may find that the copy table works, then you can look at using a query that limits the records based on a date range, then copy and paste that so that the new table is only those records.

OK.