Music Embedded in a pps

Discuss the presentation application
gordonb

Music Embedded in a pps

Post by gordonb »

I am a newbee to OpenOffice, and just installed it on my home desktop under WinXP Pro. I use PowerPoint on other computers.

To get acquainted with Impress, I sent from other computers several presentations to see how they play on my home machine. One of these (VanGough.pps) has a series of paintings and is accompanied by music. I click on it and Impress opens it just fine. The opening page instructs you to either click on the image or press the space bar to start the presentation. Clicking does start the slides, but does not start the accompanying music (Starry Starry Night). I tested the presentation on PowerPoint and it does properly synchronize the music and the slide advancement. As one would expect.

I then turned to the Impress Help System and poked around in the help index under the topics music/sound and Help alerted me to look for a music/sound icon and click it, which I did find on the 2nd slide. I clicked on this icon expecting the music to start. But alas, it did not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this feature to work. I imagine there are must be some settings that connect Impress to my attached sound system that I do not yet know how to either find or configure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW, The pps is 2.8 meg and php would not allow me to upload it.

gordon
Rahlp

Re: Music Embedded in a pps

Post by Rahlp »

i am having exactly the same problem as mentioned above, no sound and the slides dont move properly.

can anyone help plzzzzz!
squenson
Volunteer

Post by squenson »

I found vangogh.pps on internet and tested it. Apparently, the sound object in PowerPoint is a special kind of embedded sound and I guess it is not recognized by Impress. Also, the way the pictures have been added --using the background method instead of the easier Add Picture approach-- makes me feel that the author did not want his work to be easily copied.

Last point, Impress does not yet support a sound played across slides: as soon as you move to the next slide (manually or automatically), the music stops. This is a feature that is definitively missing in Impress.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
gordonb

Post by gordonb »

Hi squenson,

After this post, I tried a couple of other pps files that have music associated with them, but not synchronized with the slides in the presentation. Those did convert properly and the music played all the while you browse through the pictures or material. That is a bit more simple as a audio track than one that is synchronized pictures and words.

gordonb
frazelle09

Post by frazelle09 »

Geez... i've installed Linux on my mother-in-law's computer and everything works just fine except...

she basically uses her machine to access her Hotmail account and view her messages and the powerpoint presentations that her daughters send her. Guess what, she can't hear the music that many of them come with. She's going crazy and eventually will probably have to go back to that other OS.

Does anybody have any idea as to if this is ever going to be a feature of OOo?

Have a great afternoon! :)
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
Bahá'u'lláh
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
RGB

Post by RGB »

There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
baybee

Post by baybee »

I found following info from FAQs helpful and found it easy to play or add music to PPS presentation to play across slide presentaion using Impress. I have oposite problem fo not getting sound to play on Powerpoint created by Impress.

To play music across multiple slides, insert the music as slide transition effect following these simple steps:

In the task pane on the right hand side of the screen select the "Slide transition" tab.
In the Modify transition section click drop down menu next to Sound and select the file containing the desired music (you may need to select "Other sound" in the drop down menu and browse the contents of your hard disk).
If you wish the music to restart check the "Loop until next sound" box. If you want to stop the music at a certain slide, create a new transition selecting no sound.
Do not select the "Apply to all slides" button otherwise the music will re-start at every slide change.

Can I do the "loop until escape" function in Impress?
Yes, you can do this with Impress. You have to do two things to set it up.

First, the slides themselves need automatic transitions defined. To set that up, switch to to “Slide View”, and select all the slides. Then, choose “Slide Show” => “Slide Transition” from the menu. In the Slide Transition window, click the Extras button. On the Extras page that appears, click Automatic Transition and then use the spinner to set the length of time each slide should appear. Then, click the green checkmark to apply the setting. Close the Slide Transition window.

Next, from the menu, choose “Slide Show” => “Slide Show Settings”. In the dialog, choose Auto and set the spinner for the period of time to elapse between the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next. If you want continuous viewing, set it to 0.
Tomy

Post by Tomy »

If you choose to embed the audio file into your presentation, the sound file would be contained in your presentation.
To embed audio file, you need to follow a couple of steps. Some one else
1. First of all, you should make sure that the music file is in WAV format (MP3 file can only be linked not embedded).
2. By default, the file which is smaller than 100 KB in size would be embedded. If you WAV file is larger than 100KB, you need to change the file size limitation first. It can be changed in the Sound Options group on the contextual menu when you double click the speaker icon on the slide.
That’s it! It’s not that difficult to add music to your PowerPoint presentation to make it more funny and entertaining. Enjoy it!
How to Add Music Song to PowerPoint Presentation
http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/learningcente ... s.html#149
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + WinNT
guyver2095

Post by guyver2095 »

Problems in select other sound in the transition pane in Openoffice.

Hi I had some problems in select other sound in the transition pane in Open office, it seems that the selector cant pick names of files and finally find some reasons and fixes to that.

First check that language support have all the necessary elements, most important if you use another language than English (Sistema /administraciòn soporte de idiomas)
You can select files from a folder called Music, but not from another called Música.

Second check Gsreamer plugins good, bad and ugly) and those from partner repositories.

Third OpenOffice Dmath from repositories causes that other sound selection control doesn’t work a t all deinstall it and reinstall from webpage again.
Greetings from Mèxico.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Linx
guyver2095

Post by guyver2095 »

I almost forgot Writer 2 latex and Writer2 html causes the same problem if you install them without close soffice bin. close it in task manager before to proceed with installation.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Linx
Zuzana2010

Post by Zuzana2010 »

PowerPoint slide shows enable to preserve animation and graphics to share presentation online or via email. PowerPoint saves large media files and non-WAV sound files as links within the presentation, rather than embedding the media in each slide. These files be packaged with the PowerPoint presentation in order to retain the integrity of slide show. Alternatively, users can convert music files to an embedded file format (WAV format) so that the sound file can simply inserted into the slide, rather than linked.

Monir Sider
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista