[Solved] Shortcut for switching language

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
BadSpeller

[Solved] Shortcut for switching language

Post by BadSpeller »

Is there a way to switch the language with a keyboard shortcut? (English to Hebrew and back again) The system's shortcut (osx) does not work for OO. I have to go to the language drop down menu each time. Annoying!
Thanks,
BdSp
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
acknak

Re: shortcut for switching language

Post by acknak »

It's coming--I think in 2.4 early next year.

There will be a language selector from the menu, or a simple pop-up on the status bar, like the zoom setting.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Tyrel

Post by Tyrel »

hmm..

Image ~ Excellent

Very good news.
my avatar... er... is too big.
fenham

Post by fenham »

I assume this isn't the simple OS language support thingy when using Alt+Shift toggles keybrd input language? I'm writing from a Win XP2 SP2 user's view :?:
This is the wattle, the emblem of our land...
acknak

Post by acknak »

No--something altogether different.

As I understand it, this is basically just an easier way to access the same option as found on Tools > Options > Language Settings.

You can read about all the details here: Feature Specifications. On that page, scroll down to where it says "Specifications for OpenOffice.org 2.4", then under that, look for "Set Language Attribute for Text".
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

You might take a look at this section of NeoOffice's wiki page on Spellcheck. It provides some suggested ways to quickly change languages in a document, so the spellchecker will work correctly. (Since it is written for NeoOffice, OOo users will need to keep in mind that the command key on a Mac=the control key on Windows and Linux. Also a control-click is the same thing as a right click. I'm not sure whether those changes apply to OOo/X11 for Mac).

That may not be all you are after, though. I work in NeoOffice (a Mac port/fork of OOo), and to switch between English and Hebrew I also have to change the MacOSX input method I use. (That's not necessary for switching between English and French, though, unless one prefers the French keyboard).

kabing

Edit: clarified my description of the article
Last edited by kabing on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
acknak

Post by acknak »

There was a short blurb on GullFOSS yesterday: Framework features for OpenOffice.org 2.4.