Wont keep formatting

Discuss the word processor
Heavenshade

Wont keep formatting

Post by Heavenshade »

Alright, so I did a search in the forums and I didn't see anything related to this, so Im assuming its a new topic.

I saved an essay with MLA formatting, double spaced and the sort. But when I uploaded it to my instructor half the pages were double spaced and half of them were single spaced. No matter how many times I tried to fix the issue and save it, it reverts right back to the way it was. Half double half single. It seems that if I close the program and open it back up it does the same thing.

The only time it looks right is when I haven't closed it. This would be fine for my on campus classes, but the online class I am uploading it to has to be in the correct format. Please help, I am on a deadline here. :crazy:
Open Office 3.1 Windows 7 Professional
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Wont keep formatting

Post by Bill »

Did you set the spacing in the paragraph style which is the recommended method or set the spacing in individual paragraphs using direct formatting?
Heavenshade

Post by Heavenshade »

Format>Paragraph>Line spacing and set to double.

This was also the first thing I did before I even began writing. I also checked all of my margins. Its a process I used to do in Word, so I would know when I had written the required amount. I just don't understand it.
Open Office 3.1 Windows 7 Professional
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Set your formatting in the Styles being used. You are using direct formatting, which as you are finding is not very reliable.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Heavenshade wrote:Format>Paragraph>Line spacing and set to double.

This was also the first thing I did before I even began writing. I also checked all of my margins. Its a process I used to do in Word, so I would know when I had written the required amount. I just don't understand it.

As Rory says, you are using hard formatting which is dubious in Word let alone in OOo Writer. You are much better off using Styles. Have a look at the chapters on Styles and Templates here.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... s/Chapters

BTW, what happens if you export the document in pdf format ( Tools > Export as PDF >) ?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

What format are you saving in? .doc, .odt, .rtf, etc?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
privateofcourse

Post by privateofcourse »

I posted under another thread here about this exact issue:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 31#p123152

It's been driving me nuts. Not only is double spacing not 'sticking' some paragraphs are mysteriously being capitalised as well. My tutor sends my submitted work back with inline comments about correct formatting, and it isn't anything I have done, which is extremely annoying. The files are in RTF format, the format required by tutor.

Simon
OpenOffice 3.1.1 / WinXP Pro SP3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps you should Google for "RTF editor" and make a choice from the selection.
privateofcourse

Maybe I'll have to if OOo isn't up to muster. But then again I may as well install Office 2007 (spit) and be done with it - I installed it when I got it, and within 48 hours had uninstalled it. Flamin' 'orrible. Wasted my money there :-/

I really don't see the point of enabling RTF support in OOo if it is so badly broken. Quite simple: fix it or ditch it. I wish RTF would fade away and never be seen again; It's quirky and the best of times, and a pretty rubbish Microsoft file format. But I'm stuck with it so know use urinating into the oncoming wind!

Decision time I think. I don't want two office suites on my computer.

Cheers.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm prepared to bet that the OU use MS Word to edit the rtf documents, and the reason they require submission in rtf is to avoid viruses. Thinks: isn't there a some virus which can be carried in an rtf file...? Find that and they'd have to set up a proper virus scanning regime.

As someone said earlier today (this or another thread?) Abiword is good with rtf, also Wordpad which comes with most Windows.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

privateofcourse wrote:I really don't see the point of enabling RTF support in OOo if it is so badly broken.
+1. It is misleading.

And I can't see why the implementation is so hard as the specs are public IIRC. Perhaps there are good reason but what are they???
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
privateofcourse

Yeah, indeed, why? And it definitely is OOo Writer borking the RTF.

I created a long document in OOo writer in rtf. Saved it as a .doc. Opened it in Word 2007 and then saved it out as a new rtf. Both OOo and Word 2007 displayed the correct formatting it. However, make any edit in OOo writer save it and it is borked when you open it again in Word 2007. But not the other way round - edits made to the document in Word 2007 don't cause any formatting issues when viewing the document again in OOo writer.

So RTF support is useless. No point it being there. Perhaps OpenOffice.org don't really care too much about implementing such an old format. Pretty bad though.
darkness7171

Post by darkness7171 »

Dude that drop down menu on the top left (says "Default")! Click on it and select "Text Body". Do this for everything including headers and whatever spacing you intend to keep (double or single 1.5 etc) set that as your header spacing too!

PS you will keep your formatting this way. Most styles will be helpful in any case and that is what text body is. I can succesfully save rtf docx and doc now without problems :super:
Ubuntu 9.10-Openoffice 3.2
Windows XP-Openoffice 3.1 (older machine barely in use)