[Solved] Documents keep crashing

Discuss the word processor
Malibu

[Solved] Documents keep crashing

Post by Malibu »

I have Oo 3.1.1 build 9420 and in the last couple of weeks, have had problems with documents crashing.

They crash when I close out of the document by clicking the big red X at the top right corner.

Sometimes the crash occurs when I save changes, then close the document.

Sometimes clicking the red X to close it causes no problems at all.

Sometimes 2 documents are open when the crash occurs, sometimes only one document is open.

After one crash, the document was not able to recover but I found it in the temp folder.
Another time the document recovered but was not the latest version.

Another couple times the crash occurred after the document successfully closed. The recovery screen came up and showed me no document name to recover.

I've begun reporting the problems by filling in the report screen during the recovery process. Nobody replies to those.

What do you suggest for this crash problem?

Thanks
Last edited by Malibu on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: Documents keep crashing

Post by RoryOF »

I'd suggest first that you File / Save and File / Close each document; if those processes complete at least you have not lost your work. Then, with no document open under OpenOffice, does it still crash when you close it by the X in top RHcorner?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try also to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

This time Open Office crashed as I was searching and replacing. Looks like I'll have to reset my user profile. :(

Also, after it "recovered" my document, the recovery was not successful because I was shown the document as it looked before I had made a bunch of changes to it before the crash. There was no backup at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice.org\3\user\backup
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I reset my profile. Then I worked on a different document for 3 hours - a doc that I haven't worked on since the crashing problem began. I saved the document by clicking the Save icon many times during the time I worked on it.

I decided to quit for the day and clicked the save icon for the last time. Then I closed the program by clicking the red X in the top right corner - the same way I've been closing the program for over 2 years.

Oo crashed and said it would recover my doc. But it did not recover anything (there was no recovery action). I found my document in the folder where it was stored, opened it, and saw that I didn't lose any data.

Why am I seeing all these crashes all of a sudden, in the last 2 weeks or so?

Could Carbonite (back up program) cause this? I installed Carbonite on Jan. 17. It's supposed to run when there's no computer activity. I wish I would have made note of the first crash, if it was before installing Carbonite, or after.

Any suggestions for how to fix this?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In the past, OOo had problems when other applications touched its temporary temp files. It may be something like that. Try to deactivate Carbonite for a couple of hours and see if it still crashes.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I deactivated Carbonite and Open Office hasn't crashed *yet* (crossing fingers). I'll keep testing this and post back if a crash should occur while Carbonite is deactivated.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Booo! Oo just crashed as I was performing a search in the document. Carbonite was paused at the time. :(
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Did you form the impression that it was more stable with Carbonite paused?
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

At first yes (when I tested two test documents), then 'no' after Oo crashed my good documents just a few minutes after my test -- all while Carbonite was paused.

Carbonite's website states: "When your computer is idle, Carbonite automatically backs up new and changed files. You don’t have to do anything! When you’re using your computer, Carbonite goes to sleep so it will never slow down your computer or internet connection."

As far as temporary temp files mentioned earlier by Hagar, Carbonite states this: "By default, Carbonite backs up everything in your Documents and Settings folder (called Users in Windows Vista), including documents, photos, email and data files from applications, such as Quicken, Money, etc. Once a subscription is purchased, music is also added to the list. The default backup does not include programs, system files, temporary files, videos, or individual files greater than 4GB. You can, however, manually add these to your Carbonite backup with the exception of system files located in C:\Windows and temporary files located in Temp folders."

By reading that, I'm assuming Carbonite is not running when I'm working on Oo docs. Carbonite is not touching my temporary temp files.

I went to the other Oo forum http://www.oooforum.org/ and typed in 'crash' in the search bar and a lot of posts came up; many unanswered.

The recovery after a crash worked 1/2 the time and I lost my work. So under Tools > Option > Load/Save > General, I now changed my settings to "Always create backup copy" and changed the backup path to My Documents, rather than to temp. I hope that will help in recovering after a crash.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Pending finding a cause I strongly advise that you save your documents and close them from the File menu, rather than relying on OpenOffice to prompt you to do so when you shut it down by the X in top RHC. I know this is slightly more work, but if you have to recreate or re-edit one file it will take you a lot more time.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

RoryOF wrote:Pending finding a cause I strongly advise that you save your documents and close them from the File menu, rather than relying on OpenOffice to prompt you to do so when you shut it down by the X in top RHC. I know this is slightly more work, but if you have to recreate or re-edit one file it will take you a lot more time.
Is the File menu more secure than the "Save" icon? I always click that Save icon many times as I'm working on a document.
And wouldn't the shortcut keys Ctrl+S be the same as clicking File > Save?
Or are you recommending I go the long way: File > Save ?

Another question. Is there a program associated with Open Office that maybe needs updating and could be causing the crashes? Perhaps Java? When I go to Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java, it's telling me I have Sun Microsystems Inc Version 1.6.0_17. Is that the latest version? If not, how do I update it?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

"Malibu"Is the File menu more secure than the "Save" icon? I always click that Save icon many times as I'm working on a document.
And wouldn't the shortcut keys Ctrl+S be the same as clicking File > Save?
Or are you recommending I go the long way: File > Save ?
Any of those methods are, in my view, preferable to hitting the close down X in the top corner. I use Ctrl S myself all the time. One of the problems that reoccurs on this forum is that of users who put in hours of work (10, I remember in one case) without a Save, sometimes even without a Save As to name the file; then they have a crash and a crisis, because their paper is usually due in ten minutes. So our best advice is to save early and often.
Another question. Is there a program associated with Open Office that maybe needs updating and could be causing the crashes? Perhaps Java? When I go to Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - Java, it's telling me I have Sun Microsystems Inc Version 1.6.0_17. Is that the latest version? If not, how do I update it?
The latest version is 1.6.0_18. You can upgrade to this by going to http://www.java.com and following the download link. To be honest, I don't think Java version is your problem. More likely it is some other program running in the background - do you have music playing, or TV or radio feeds running concurrently with your editing? Turn them off! This is not a popular thing to say, but I have been using micro computers for over thirty years and by limiting them to essential software only I find I have no crashes. It is possible that problems such as you report are caused by some interaction between sound/video programs and the OpenOffice suite. I don't know and am not minded to prove it - _my_ system is stable.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Thanks Rory, I have Java updated now.

I don't normally have music or video playing while I'm working on Oo docs. I do have other programs running that I'm using to do my work with Oo; programs such as RootsMagic, notepad, Picasa3, Firefox browser, and a couple Windows Explorer windows. I've had all these program running at the same time before the crash problem. It may well be Carbonite causing Oo to crash, I don't know yet.

I'll see if updating Java helped and will let you know how it goes. Maybe once Carbonite finally finishes backup up my files, Oo will become more stable. But this will take awhile for the backup to finish (could be days or another week or two).
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Here I am again. I've been getting numerous crashes daily. Carbonite finally finished backing up my entire computer and I'm still getting Open Office crashes, even with Carbonite disabled. Crashes occur when simply opening OpenOffice, they occur when copying and pasting text, when searching for text, when closing saved documents, when closing documents that have no changes, when moving pictures, etc., etc. I've sent error report after error report to the OpenOffice people.

Another HUGE problem occurred where my 70+ page odt document with inserted images suddenly lost ALL the images. The images were not linked to my computer, they were inserted. Here's what happened: I had opened the document and was scrolling through the pages. The area where the images should have been was a sea of boxes that looked smeared and had some text (in red, I think) that something like 'the images are not valid' or something. So I closed the document. When I opened it, pages and pages of images were gone! When I right-clicked on the remaining box where the image should be, there was nothing there. Even the file size told me that my images were lost - from an approx file size of 7 MB (with pictures) to 65.5 KB (without pictures). Praise almighty that I had a good backup and was able to get my 7 MB document back.

Now today, I just happened to be running Secunia Personal Software Inspector to see if any programs need updating, and lo and behold, OpenOffice was on the list! Why doesn't Oo send me a message that there's an update? Anyway, I'll be updating to 3.2 and will let you know if I still see interminable crashing.

Sadly, I see someone else already is seeing crashes with 3.2 http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=27671
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have been running OOo 3.2 with no problems on Win 2K and Ubuntu 9.10. I'm using it to write several Impress presentations (50+ slides, mostly image and text, some video clips) and several Writer documents (160+ pages, text, no illustrations).
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Oo 3.2 crashed after I pressed the save button. I didn't lose any data, though, so that's good.

Am I the only one with crashing problems? I really hoped the update would solve the problem. :x
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Perhaps you can change your temporary folder (Tools>Options>OOo>Paths) and put it in your documents folder so that it's untouched by any maintenance application that could clean the system temporary folder.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Perhaps you can change your temporary folder (Tools>Options>OOo>Paths) and put it in your documents folder so that it's untouched by any maintenance application that could clean the system temporary folder.
OK, I'll try that. Thanks
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is one thing you could do that _might_ cure your problem. When you won't be using your computer for some time (several hours), in the Start button Run box type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes). It may prompt you to insert a Windows CD. This will do a check to see if all Windows system files are in their original state, and restore them if not.
blue_ridge_rider

Post by blue_ridge_rider »

I have found the answer to this problem. My computer's OO kept crashing and crashing; when I closed Writer, when I opened it; crash after crash, maybe ten times a day. I also had what I thought was a separate problem. My hard drive ran constantly at full tilt causing my computer to respond VERY sluggishly, if at all. Most of the time it would take between five and ten seconds to respond to a click or page down. And the hard drive kept running, running for HOURS AND HOURS after a boot. I'm going to talk a lot about the hard drive running, but the solution to OO crashing was found through the analysis of the hard drive running constantly problem. Stay with me.

After a couple months of checking for viruses and spyware, yesterday I decided I was going to find out what was wrong with this thing come hell or high water. I searched processes running and could not pinpoint the problem because so many are hidden inside multiple instances of svchost.exe. I confirmed 100% Disk access much of the time. After much experimentation, during which I PAUSED CARBONITE (yes, I'm yelling) many times with no improvement, which sent me down false trail after false trail, I began uninstalling programs, one after another. After each one I paused to make sure it had made no difference. Windows Defender - no change; Diskkeeper - no change; Avast anti-virus - no change; about ten other programs I didn't use any more - no change. Then I got to Carbonite. When I uninstalled it the hard drive stopped. Note that nothing had improved when I paused Carbonite. The problem was resolved when I uninstalled it. For the first time in months the hard drive stopped completely.

I decided to make sure it was really Carbonite causing it and that pausing it did not help. I reinstalled Carbonite and the hard drive started going like crazy after about one minute, during which it reloaded its list of my files and found my Internet connection. It kept going for at least fifteen minutes. I paused it; no change. Then I uninstalled again and the hard drive calmed down to a stop in a few seconds. I kept looking at Carbonite's control panel during all this. It is normally minimized in the system tray. Most of the time it gave no clue to what was going on, but twice I saw it display Searching For Files to Backup or similar. That's what's going on. It brags that it pauses backing up whenever you move your mouse to avoid hogging your Internet connection, BUT IT CONTINUES SEARCHING ALL THE FILES ON YOUR COMPUTER, looking for a change tag. The Internet connection is fine, but the computer has no available hard drive time for its own use.

Not wanting to convict Carbonite without DNA evidence, I reinstalled it. All my problems started anew. Then one last time I uninstalled it and again the hard drive access slowed to a complete stop in a minute. We find the defendant guilty, Your Honor.

I've now been using my machine for close to a day. It's performance is once again snappy. I launch a program it comes up in a second or two. Open Office is even faster and it is rock solid stable. It has not crashed once and I've opened and closed it many times. I actually don't remember it launching so quickly ever, but that's probably because Carbonite got me used to having a 386 loaded with Vista. It was really awful. I didn't mention that earlier I had bought 4GB of memory (vs. 2GB) of which 32-bit windows knows how to use about 3GB, and that didn't help.

I came very close to formatting and reinstalling everything. And I almost abandoned OpenOffice and bought MS Office, not realizing OO's problem was associated with the hard drive running all the time problem. Neither would have helped! As I sit here, the hard drive light is out, with a tiny flash every four or five seconds, OO just launched in well under a second, and when I click something I get an immediate response. The word on this needs to be put out right away with the widest possible dissemination.

I may post this in a fresh thread if I don't find a response by someone working on the project.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

That's a nice report, there. Have you reported that to Carbonite, too? If they're the cause of it, they should know as well.

I wonder if you had automatic backups where Carbonite runs all the time, or if you had "scheduled" backups for a certain time of day. It's under Options > Backup Schedule.

I just paused Carbonite and my computer stopped humming. Now I also set a backup schedule to see if that helps with the problem with Oo crashing. I'll test it out a couple days and post back. I just paid for 3 years of Carbonite - ugh! It's going to be a long 3 years if Oo keeps crashing all day. :(
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can't you uninstall completely Carbonite to check if it is the same problem? That's quite worth trying! If you've paid something, I guess it's just an activation code so you should be able to reinstall it afterward if you want.

NB: I wouldn't trust an application that keeps the HD busy all the time. It certainly reduces heavily its life time.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Can't you uninstall completely Carbonite to check if it is the same problem? That's quite worth trying! If you've paid something, I guess it's just an activation code so you should be able to reinstall it afterward if you want.

NB: I wouldn't trust an application that keeps the HD busy all the time. It certainly reduces heavily its life time.
I have Carbonite on a scheduled backup for 11:55 pm. I unpaused it to back up some files. After it backed up, I noticed that Carbonite didn't pause again automatically, and it was scanning my computer looking for files. I manually paused it for 30 minutes. After a couple hours, it was still in a paused state. The computer was really quiet, too (no humming). So I opened 3 Oo docs. I looked at some pages of Doc #1 and closed it with no problems. I edited Doc #2, then saved it, then closed it. Oo crashed. It recovered Doc #3 which was unedited and still open at the time of the crash.

I'll have to check with Carbonite to see if uninstalling will mess up my backup, before I try the same test as blue_ridge_rider. And I'll definitely let them know their program is suspect in causing Oo problems.

Where Rory wrote "in the Start button Run box type "sfc /scannow" ... " - I'm afraid that's beyond my intelligence/comfort level. :(
blue_ridge_rider

I paid Carbonite for four years of service up front. I have emailed them requesting a refund. No reply yet except an automatic one saying they got my email.

Since I identified the problem I have researched backups available through Windows fairly extensively. I have found not only a workable solution, but a good one and it was in Windows all along.

My Lenovo laptop has what they call an Ultrabay which provides for change out of the DVD drive with a second hard drive with no restrictions on how often you can do it. Backups to an internal drive are a lot faster. I use Bitlocker and Vista Ultimate and only the higher end versions of Vista have the imaging ability which I'll get to shortly, but here's what I came up with that I think will work every bit as well as Carbonite and leave my computer the heck alone while it does it.

Ultimate and one or two other versions of Vista including Enterprise have the ability to do backups two ways. The first is to create an exact "image" on another drive, be it a second internal hard drive, DVDs, USB hard drive or flash drive. The image, when restored to a new hard drive, will make it bootable and identical in every way to the one that failed. Microsoft recommends you make an image about every six months, but I think I will do it more often than that. It really doesn't take that long. If you don't have Ultimate you can either upgrade or buy Acronis, an imaging program. The second Vista backup method is "File Backup." It can be scheduled to run automatically daily, weekly, etc. unlike imaging to my knowledge. Vista decides for itself what files to backup. It does not allow you to edit the list. File backups do not include program files or Windows folders. I did not find a way to check that it had included all the files I want backed up. When I told it to start the file backup, it scanned my drive and I did see scrolling by quickly .jpgs that were not on the list of file types on the list, so maybe it's smart. I'll have to check what it comes up with, but I can't look now because I canceled that backup to first encrypt my backup drive.

Now this is funny. I had encrypted my second hard drive with Bitlocker long ago. My practice before Carbonite was to format the drive to clear out the old backup quickly, then do an XCOPY. It was not bootable, but I don't mind the prospect of reloading everything in the unlikely event of a total hard drive failure. I used to format and reload once a quarter with Windows 98 to keep it semi-stable and got it down to under a day. Here's the funny part. When I told Vista to create an image of my primary drive, it told me that although Bitlocker had encrypted C:, the image would not be encrypted and to keep it in a safe place. When I looked at Bitlocker in Control Panel, not only was Bitlocker off on my backup drive, but it was totally unencrypted which is different. If I did that I've completely forgotten doing it. But who wants an unencrypted backup?? I looked and looked for the solution on this one and didn't come across anything telling me that you couldn't simply image then encrypt the backup drive so I tried it. It worked fine, although it took six hours to encrypt a 250GB drive. Besides a rotten memory, my only theory is that formatting the drive turned off Bitlocker. At any rate keep an eye on Bitlocker in CP to make sure your backup stays encrypted.

With this setup, the idea would be to image periodically and file backup daily. After a hard drive failure you'd restore the image, then the file backup. As I understand it (hazily) file backup recognizes which files have been changed, which have been deleted, and which have been created and updates the file backup appropriately. I do not think you end up with a lot of incremental backups after your initial big one, just a big one that changes a bit each day.

Here's what I will do in the worst case. If my primary drive not only won't boot, but won't even spin I would not have the option of using my drive's hidden partition to restore it to the computer's original state when it was delivered if I hadn't made backup disks (I did). From what I read in my research on this, it appears to be a pretty common oversight.

I don't want to restore to delivery condition anyway. I want it back to yesterday's condition. Here's the plan. I'll install a new blank hard drive where the dead one was. Then I'd connect my USB flash drive with Bitlocker password(s) on it. Then I'll connect whatever my backups are on, in my case a second hard drive. Finally, I need something to boot from, and my backup drive will be using the DVD's slot. But if you have a DVD drive available you can use your Vista installation disk or borrow one. They're all the same. Only the key is different. In my case, I not only won't have a DVD drive available, I don't have a Vista installation disk. And MS decided to remove from SP1 the planned addition of the ability to make one. Thus, unless you do something fancy before the fan is hit, you will not have the ability to access the Repair function on the installation disk, and we must access it to recover.

Thank goodness some helpful souls have recognized this problem, and with their help you can create a Vista startup disk. Of course you must do this before a problem appears, like now! Go here http://www.brighthub.com/computing/wind ... /7050.aspx and follow the directions. Alternative number three will tell you how to create this disk if you don't have access to a Vista installation disk. You will install UTorrent, get the .iso file with it and burn it to a disk. ImageBurn, free, is a good app to burn to CD or DVD. To "burn" this to a flash drive if you will not have a DVD drive available when your backup drive is connected, go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetboo ... e/download. Download the app. Disregard that it says it's for Linux. It works fine on Windows. Save the file, go back and execute it and you'll be done in about 30 seconds. Back to the recovery. I'll set the BIOS to boot from the proper USB drive, which the BIOS must be able to do for Bitlocker to have allowed you to encrypt a disk in the first place.

It took me a while to find what happens after you boot from this startup disk with new drive installed, flash drive with Bitlocker key connected, and backup drive connected. When you boot, select Repair and the system will then automatically recognize the flash drive with the Bitlocker password on it and allow you access to your encrypted backup drive. You can then format the new drive and restore your image to it. Then you copy backed up files to your new drive. Restoring the image would put the drive in the state when you made the image. Using the file backup files will put you back to where you were after the last file backup, hopefully the night before.

This may sound complicated, but it's really not. After you make your startup disk/flash drive if you need to, you just have to make an image and tell the Backup and Restore Center to make automatic file backups every day and everything will happen automatically until you have a disaster... which won't be a disaster! It took me a while to find out how to schedule automatic file backups. The controls for it are buried. You have to tell Backup and Restore to "backup files" and then it will take you to a page where you can schedule automatic backups.

Advantages over Carbonite:

OpenOffice runs like a champ. My installation of it is still stable as a rock and launches quickly. I've used it many times since I uninstalled Carbonite.

Backups are entirely local, thus your files cannot be hacked off their web site. They brag about their security, but if it ain't there it can't be hacked. They also say Carbonite won't interfere with using your computer and how accurate is that?

There is no annual fee. Once you buy a backup hard drive and maybe a flash drive or two you're done paying forever.

Your computer will run fast. I long suspected Vista's indexing was the cause of my problem. It wasn't and indexing really is as light on using resources as people say. Carbonite's indexing, however is a one-eyed monster. It monopolizes the hard drive and crashes OO.

You can backup without an Internet connection.

Your initial backup will not take two weeks. I have a 15Mbps up (not a misprint) and 25 Mbps down fiber connection and Carbonite never used more than a tiny fraction of it. There is no way to tell it to go man, go. My 30GB backup could have been done in a few hours, but it took two weeks.

Now we'll see about a refund.
Open Office 3.1.1 on Windows Vista SP2
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I checked with Carbonite. They recommended to "disable" on the right-click menu, rather than uninstalling it.

When I told the Carbonite person that when Carbonite was "paused," OpenOffice still crashed, they said, "This shows that the issue is not related to Carbonite" and "Carbonite will stop backing up while it is paused."

So I have Carbonite "disabled" today. I did a quick test of some OpenOffice files - opened a bunch up, did some editing, searching, saving, closing, re-opening, closing, etc. and so far Oo did not crash. I'll report back if Oo does crash while Carbonite is disabled. During that quick test, I did not have my other programs running which I normally have running. I'll re-do the testing today and tomorrow.
blue_ridge_rider

That's interesting, Malibu, that OO stops crashing when Carbonite is paused, but that the constantly running hard drive problem continues until it's uninstalled. That sounds like there are two different defects in their software. I didn't notice OO stopped crashing when Carbonite was paused since I was chasing the hard drive problem and it continued.

Their telling you to pause Carbonite whenever you want to use OpenOffice made me laugh. Yeah, like whenever I want to run the heater in my car I should remove the air cleaner. Good grief.
Open Office 3.1.1 on Windows Vista SP2
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

blue_ridge_rider wrote:That's interesting, Malibu, that OO stops crashing when Carbonite is paused, but that the constantly running hard drive problem continues until it's uninstalled. That sounds like there are two different defects in their software. I didn't notice OO stopped crashing when Carbonite was paused since I was chasing the hard drive problem and it continued.

Their telling you to pause Carbonite whenever you want to use OpenOffice made me laugh. Yeah, like whenever I want to run the heater in my car I should remove the air cleaner. Good grief.
I just want to clarify, that for me, when Carbonite was paused and/or disabled, the hard drive did not constantly run (it's very quiet).

I still have Carbonite disabled and Oo runs pretty snappy; no crashes yet when Carbonite is "disabled."

Just now, I deselected the Disable option, leaving Carbonite on Paused; opened a Oo doc, typed a few sentences, saved it, closed it. Oo crashed.

Maybe in the paused state, Carbonite is trolling for files behind the scenes, even though the Carbonite people say that when paused, "Carbonite will stop backing up..." I'll surely be putting in a complaint to them. I just UN-paused Carbonite and the humming (disk activity) has begun again. Ho hum.
Malibu

Re: [Solved] Documents keep crashing

Post by Malibu »

I'll mark this as solved since the problem appears to be Carbonite.
Thanks all!

Update: I had to clear my Carbonite scheduler using a CarboniteFixStatus exe file. Now that the Carbonite backup schedule is working correctly, the program is not constantly scanning my computer. OpenOffice hasn't crashed yet after fixing the schedule problem, and seems to run a lot more snappily. :D