Cannot open saved .odt Writer file

Discuss the word processor
sacred

Cannot open saved .odt Writer file

Post by sacred »

Specs : Windows 7
Open Office : 3.1

I created an Open Office word document 2 days ago, then saved it wth a password. Next day my laptop went to the workshop due to my accidental disabling the configuration network something, something (configuring issue). Anyway, Eventually today everything was fixed and restored back to normal...but I can no longer open my Open Office word document 2 nor Windows office 2007 (albeit a trial version..but my laptop is NEW and only 11 days old. So it is still valid but anyway why IT said it cannot open coz i'm not connected to the internet when I am? Anyway back to Open Office.... ). It prompted with a certain ASCII FIlter Options:
43d49be0b6.jpg
So I just pressed OK ...and voila :shock: this is what I get . All 'yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...'
3e57bbdadb.jpg
This word document contains words, graphics (picts) and WordArt...I remember I saved it as .odt . Now even some of my Microsoft Word document end up same thing. All 'yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...' :crazy:

Please help asap. I need to get things done with this document. Thank you so much.

Edited to remove All Caps (TheGurkha, Moderator).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Cannot open saved .odt Writer file.

Post by Hagar Delest »

sacred wrote:Now even some of my Microsoft Word document end up same thing.
Then try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

NB: I've embedded your pics in the forum and cropped them.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sacred

Post by sacred »

Not fixed.
For Windows users:

* Before Vista: \Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\
* From Vista: \Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice.org\3\user
I tried the From Vista, but don't have the ' <user name>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice.org\3\user ' . Mine is Windows 7 Home basic.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then make your file browser show the hidden files and folders and search for the "OpenOffice.org" folder.
aidancas

Post by aidancas »

hey sacred, the same thing has happened to me today and i have lost a lot of work files, did u ever find a solution to this ?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, nothing to do: 22 page term paper replaced with pound signs.
But for several files at once, that's rather strange. Were all the files opened at the same time? Any special event (power failure, ...)?

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

Else, nothing to do I fear.