[Solved] Mac saving .odt files as TextEdit files

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Dave Lohse

[Solved] Mac saving .odt files as TextEdit files

Post by Dave Lohse »

Recently, and for unknown reasons, all of my existing OpenOffice .odt files and any new files I attempt to create and save in OpenOffice format are automatically saved in the iMac TextEdit program if I attempt to save them in folders on the Desktop. They do remain in OpenOffice format if I keep them in the Documents section, but I would prefer to have folders visible on the Desktop as I was formerly able to do. Is this some feature recently imposed by Apple/Mac, or am I saving the files in a manner that is directing them to the TextEdit?
Last edited by Dave Lohse on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice.org 3.1 on Mac
kabing
Volunteer

Re: Mac saving .odt files as TextEdit files

Post by kabing »

does the extension at the end of the file name change? (i.e. does testdocument.odt changed to testdocument.rtf)

Or is it that when you double click on the file, it opens in Text Edit?
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
Dave Lohse

Post by Dave Lohse »

It remains as .odt; it goes to TextEdit as soon as I click on the Save button.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Dave Lohse wrote:It remains as .odt; it goes to TextEdit as soon as I click on the Save button.
If the file remains .odt, what do you mean by "it goes to TextEdit". If the file extension is .odt it is an OpenOffice.org file.

TextEdit is a program that opens different file types, not a file type. Please clarify what you are seeing.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Text Edit opens as soon as you Save from OpenOffice.org? Or the icon changes to the TextEdit icon once you save?

Sorry if I'm being dense; I'm wanting to make sure I understand correctly.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
Dave Lohse

Post by Dave Lohse »

Sorry--I'm probably not explaining it well.

Once I "Save" the file to the Desktop, it stays in "testdoc.odt", with no reference to TextEdit. However, as soon as I double-click on the file, the TextEdit icon pops up on my toolbar and the entire program shifts from OpenOffice to TextEdit. The only way I can work on the original version of the file is if I save a copy in OpenOffice's "Documents"--for some reason these do not shift.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

In Mac's Finder, locate one of the files that is opening in TextEdit and select it.
Hold down the command key and hit the i key, or go to the FIle menu and choose "Get Info"
In the new info window that opens, look for the section labeled "Open WIth"
If necessary, click on the disclosure triangle just to the left of Open With, so that you can see a drop-down from which to choose an application.
in the drop-down, select OpenOffice.org
Click on the "Change All" button just below the dropdown.

This should fix the problem for you.

I use Tiger, and you are likely using Leopard or SnowLeopard, so there may be a few variations in these instructions, but the general procedure should be the same.

kabing
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

However, as soon as I double-click on the file, the TextEdit icon pops up on my toolbar and the entire program shifts from OpenOffice to TextEdit. The only way I can work on the original version of the file is if I save a copy in OpenOffice's "Documents"--for some reason these do not shift.
Right click on the file, go to 'Open with' and select the program you want to open the file with.

It seem that the file associations of the files on your desktop have been changed to open with TextEdit. To change back to OO.o, Right Click on one of the files. Then click on 'Get Info'. Partway down the dialogue box that opens is 'Open with:' Click on the arrows on the right of the box showing the application, then select OpenOffice.org.app.

Below "Use this application to open all documents like this one 'click on 'Change All...'

You should edit your signature to show what version of Mac OS X you are using as well as if your Mac is Intel or PPC. It is useful info (sometimes necessary) when troubleshooting.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Dave Lohse

Post by Dave Lohse »

It worked!

Thanks so much for the help; I would never have figured it out by myself.
rasmus1504

Re: [Solved] Mac saving .odt files as TextEdit files

Post by rasmus1504 »

This is not working for me. When I try to select OpenOffice as my standard program it just goes back to TextReader. I can choose any other program but OpenOffice. Any ideas?

Thank you
OpenOffice 3.3.0
SFZander

Post by SFZander »

I would like to send a Thank You to this Forum for keeping this old thread alive/posted and to Kabing and Igusaas for taking the time to suss out solutions. When my LibreOffice crashed the last time, it does so fairly often, a number of open files were changed to TextEdit files and I was not able to figure out how to retrieve them. (The Writer docs were at least visible, the Calc spreadsheets were completely blank). Getting these files back, data and formats, was a godsend. And I learned a new trick I won't soon forget. Thanks! Z

Now on to figuring out how to get LibreOffice to "see" the titles on every pre-existing doc or spreadsheet... and not open them as "Untitled 1".
LibreOffice 4.3.4.1 on MacOSX Yosemite 10.10.3
AndyOpenOffice

Post by AndyOpenOffice »

Just to say that this is still working to fix the same issue - June 2019 - Thanks guys :bravo: . Was starting to :crazy: :knock:
OpenOffice 4.1.5 / Mac OS10.14.5 / 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5