[Solved] Not printing the background

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
zenlord

[Solved] Not printing the background

Post by zenlord »

Hello,

I found a great solution to mimick my stationary, and it is to put the image of my stationary as a full-page background in my letter-template. So if I send someone a PDF of my letter through email, he gets the letter with my heading etc.

Now I've found an option in Print > Printer options > Elements to unselect the 'background'-element, which is a perfect solution, except for the fact that this setting is forgotten by openoffice / my printer everytime I make a new document out of this template.

Instead of teaching my 2 colleagues to always deselect this option, I'm looking for a macro to automate the deselection of this option upon loading the document.

Studying the openoffice-API is a disaster though. I find several Xprintable, print, getprinter, setprinter, printoptions etc.-possible attributes, but none of them seems to be able to set the attribute 'do not print background'.

Does anyone know the solution?

THX!
Last edited by zenlord on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 4.1 on Linux (Debian Wheezy backports)
FJCC

Re: Not printing the background

Post by FJCC »

I found the answer here. The service that supports the printPageBackground property is com.sun.star.view.PrintSettings, but I couldn't find how to access it. The post I referenced shows the way.

Code: Select all

oDoc = ThisComponent
oDocSettings = oDoc.createInstance("com.sun.star.text.DocumentSettings")
oDocSettings.PrintPageBackground = False
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
zenlord

Post by zenlord »

Thx!

I have been trying different macro's in the last week, but I don't seem to get it working. Stuff I'll try out tonight are:

Dim oText As Object
oDoc = ThisComponent
oText = oDoc.DocumentSettings
oText.PrintPageBackground = False
print(oDoc)

oDoc = ThisComponent
Dim oDocSettings As Object
oDocSettings = createInstance("com.sun.star.text.DocumentSettings")
print(oDoc)

oDoc = ThisComponent
Dim oDocSettings As Object
oDocSettings = createInstance("com.sun.star.view.PrintSettings")
print(oDoc)
Maybe someone can rule out one or several of these possibilities.

Something that made me doubt earlier today is the way this macro works: I've been 'testing' the macro by looking at the 'print options'-dialog to see if the option was effectively disabled or not. This was never the case, but maybe the macro doesn't disable this option permanently, but only for a short while (f.e. until the end of the macro?). That would explain why I never saw a disabled print option for the background, and that's why I'll be trying the above macro's with the 'print()'-cmd, effectively printing the document before the macro has finished.

If someone else could shed some (more) light at my problem, I'd be much obliged. Wrestling through the API documentation, the Pitonyak-PDF and the starbasic developer tutorial has not really enlightened me (although I know my way around PHP, so I'm not a complete beginner when it comes to coding/hacking/'programming').

Thx again!
zenlord

Post by zenlord »

OK, I think I nailed it and want to leave this code snippet here for anyone who wants it:

oDoc = ThisComponent

DIM oDocSettings AS Object
oDocSettings = createInstance("com.sun.star.view.PrintSettings")

DIM oPropertyValue(3) AS new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue 
oPropertyValue(0).Name = "Copies"
oPropertyValue(0).Value = "1"
oPropertyValue(1).Name = "Collate"
oPropertyValue(1).Value = True
oPropertyValue(2).Name = "PrinterPaperTray"
oPropertyValue(2).Value = "Tray1"
oDoc.Print(oPropertyValue())
The code worked last night, but I'll be getting my new printer with different trays somewhere this week. I found http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic ... rpapertray, which suggests that my tray-selection is not correct.
Also beware: I'm typing this from memory - I'll check the code tonight at home.

Zl.
zenlord

Re: [Solved] Not printing the background

Post by zenlord »

EDIT: I posted a macro to solve a complete question, but since this macro didn't do exactly what I needed, I'm just posting the answer to the initial question and I will open a new thread for the other problems(s).

So: This piece of macro works to disable printing of the background:

Sub printDocWithoutBackground
	DIM oPropertyValue(0) AS New com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
	DIM oDoc
	DIM oSettings

oDoc = ThisComponent
REM Set backgroundImage-option to False
	oSettings = oDoc.createInstance("com.sun.star.text.DocumentSettings")
	oSettings.PrintPageBackground = False
REM Set some print options
	oPropertyValue(0).Name = "CopyCount"
	oPropertyValue(0).Value = 1
	oDoc.Print(oPropertyValue())
End Sub