I am experiencing the same issue with OOO3.1 on Vista 64-bit. I have Vista 32-bit, Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit and Windows Server 2008 that do not have this problem.
To duplicate the problems, you will need at least two Windows PC's. In my case, I am using Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 running OOo3.1 with a Windows 2008 SP2 file server. Files reside on the Windows 2008 file server over a standard Ethernet network.
The steps to reproduce these problems are as follows:
1) Create a folder on the Windows Server and enable file sharing for that folder. Copy/Create into that folder several OOo3 documents.
2) Go to the Windows Vista 64-bit workstation running OOo3.1 and use File | Open. Next, browse to the folder shared on the remote PC. When you try to open a document shared on the remote PC, there is a very long delay before the file opens. During the delay OOo3.1 is unresponsive. Further, when saving an open document to the remote folder there is also a long delay and OOo3.1 is unresponsive. Finally, if the default Templates folder is set to a remote Windows share, then OOo3.1 hangs when a user attempts to create a new document from a template.
3) On the Windows PC running OOo3.1 use File | Open and browse to an OOo document stored locally. The file opens instantly.
4) One workaround is to use Windows Explorer to copy the file from the remote file folder to the local desktop; make changes locally; then save and copy/move the file back to the remote folder. The file opens instantly.
5) Another workaround is to use Microsoft 2007 SP2 to open the OOo file. The file opens instantly.
6) The local Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 workstation I am using is a member of a domain. There is also a Windows 2008 SP2 Terminal Server in this environment which is also a member of the domain. If I log into the Vista PC using a local user account or domain user account, then the problems described above occur. If I log into the Terminal Server using a domain user account, then performance is as expected.
These issues appear to be a regression in OOo3 from the performance experienced in OOo2.
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista + Ubuntu 9.04