[Solved] How to make elipse or circle from image

Discuss the drawing application
munc

[Solved] How to make elipse or circle from image

Post by munc »

I would like to make elipse from image as it is described here:
http://fedoranews.org/mweber/OO_crop_c.shtml

But elipse which I received is angular/edgy.

Do you know what I am doing wrong ?

Thank you :)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.1.X on SLAX
acknak

Re: How to make elipse or circle from image

Post by acknak »

It sounds like your version of OOo may not support smoothing ("antialiasing" or "aa") of graphics. The smoothing is a recent addition--I believe it was added with OOo 3.1. If that's right, you should have it. Where did you get your OOo from?

It might help if you can attach a screen capture that shows what you're describing. You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). [Forum] How to attach a document here

PS: Also, be aware that this does not simply crop the image to the shape. It actually fills the shape with the image and it will distort the image if the shape is a different size than the image. OOo Draw cannot crop (or "mask") an image by a shape.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
regina

Post by regina »

Here is another way, which will not distort the image:
1. Insert the Image
2. Copy the Image
3. Deselect
4. Insert the Image. Now you should have two of the images stacked exactly one over the other.
5. Draw your circle, ellipse, heart or whatever shape you like over the image.
6. Select the your drawing, hold down the shift-key and select the image. Two objects are selected now.
7. Tools > Combine. You will see nothing, but now you have created a Bézier curve.
8. Edit > Select all.
9. Tools > Combine. Now you get your shape showing only a part of the image.

The edge of the shape is a Bézier curve. If you switch to point editing mode, you can change the shown part afterwards by manipulating the points.

Kind regards
Regina
acknak

Post by acknak »

Very clever! Thanks for the tip--I would never have thought to try "combine" on an image and a curve.

This is the same method, though: it avoids the distortion because the first 'combine' creates a curve that has the same size as the image, thus avoiding the distortion. You can see that the final result is actually a 'fill' if you look at the 'area' settings, but this is a much easier way to get it done.

If it is important to you that OOo should have a true clip/mask feature, see Issue 104035: provide true image clip and mask by a shape
You can register there and add your vote (up to two) or comment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23