How to wrap text in a field?

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
macbeth

How to wrap text in a field?

Post by macbeth »

I can't seem to find how to wrap text in a field in a report builder report. Help! Thanks
OpenOffice 3.2 on Win Vista
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: How to wrap text in a field?

Post by r4zoli »

The text wrapping not supported in SRB.
What is your problem?
In finished report, you see red triangles?
Workaround: Open finished report for edit, press fifth icon (Edit file) on standard toolbar, change cells size.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
macbeth

Post by macbeth »

Thanks but it didn't work. I just want text to wrap in a field called "description". Like you said, right now it shows the first part of the text and then a red triangle. I can make the fields higher, and the longer text fits but then every line is double spaced whether it needs to be or not. Clear as mud? Thank you!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Win Vista
evwool
Volunteer

Post by evwool »

macbeth wrote:Thanks but it didn't work. I just want text to wrap in a field called "description". Like you said, right now it shows the first part of the text and then a red triangle. I can make the fields higher, and the longer text fits but then every line is double spaced whether it needs to be or not. Clear as mud? Thank you!
Since Base Reports can't cope with text wrap, one possible workround would be to put the description in a seperate table. So if your main table was called eg TblPerson and had PersonID (Primary Key Field), FirstName, Surname, your Description table would have DescriptionID (primary key field) LineNo, PersonID, DescriptText. It's fiddly, but it could be made to work. Ensure that PersonID in this second table is a required field and link it to TblPerson in the Relationship window.
Restrict DescriptionText so that it can contain no more characters than the desired width of the field in your report. It's not perfect, but it may just work. I'll have to have a play with that myself.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP and on Windows 7 Starter