[Solved] How do I create a brochure?

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
chris_mas

[Solved] How do I create a brochure?

Post by chris_mas »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?
I'm using version 2.4
What Operating System (version) are you using?
Windows XP home edition
What is your question or comment?
How do I create a 3 fold brochure, or any at all with openoffice
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Hagar Delest

Re: How do I create a brochure?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: Creating a booklet?

I move the thread to the Advanced used sub-forum of Writer.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
chris_mas

Post by chris_mas »

Thanks, that does help.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Great!

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
HolySabre

Post by HolySabre »

Hi im new aswell and did not want to create a new thread since this one is already here and recent but do you have a link for creating a 3 fold brochure aswell?
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

If you follow the link in the first reply from Hagar de l'Est, you'll find a link to a tutorial by Solveig Haugland, and in the first couple of lines of that tutorial you'll find a link to a tri-fold bruchure template. (The service doesn't seem to respect file types, so you need to right click/save the document and open it locally. If you try to open it directly you'll most likely get a browser window full of nonsense...).

If that's not what you need, just fold your paper and make note of where you want page 1, 2, ...6 to go. Unfold and use that to position frames in each section, and then link the frames as you like, according to that numbering.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

chris_mas wrote:how do I create a 3 fold brochure, or any at all with openoffice
I designed a one-sheet trifold template available through OpenOffice.org Writer templates. It is called Trifold Brochure.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
bnsmith001

Post by bnsmith001 »

I tried the template listed under this thread.
The brochure ran off page by at least 1/8 inch on an 8.5x11 Letter printed on an HP PhotoSmart 2750 series.

So I started from scratch.

I tried to create a Letter Landscape document, and I created three columns.
I've turned page borders on, which allowed me to notice a problem during printing -- when I manually duplex during printing, there is a shift from front to back (holding the page to the light, I see a shift between 3/4 inch and 1 inch ).
I've tried changing the Left Margin to make the left margin meet the right margin on the back, with no success.

SideBar --
It might be that the HP printer settings are also to blame.
Are there standard settings for landscape manual duplex printing on an HP PhotoSmart?
I determined that I do want "Preserve Layout" ON ( I think )... at least through initial testing.
Which forum/topic would I address with questions about "HP PhotoSmart settings for OoO"?
1) If I were to start from scratch, like I did... not using a pre-defined template... just "Untitled 1"... How do I create a tri-fold brochure?
In thinking through this, a landscape page with an 11inch width, with a 1 inch left and right margin, would leave 9 inches,
which would simply make three 3-inch column brochure pages.
Landscape Pg1, Three Columns -
The first column on page one would be Page ?3? or the page that you see when you open the front page.
The second column on page one would be the back page (?6?) or the page that you see on the back when the brochure is completely folded.
The third column on page one would be the front page or the page that you see on the front when the brochure is completely folded.
Landscape Pg2, Three Columns -
The first column on page two would be Page ?2? or the page behind the front page that you see on the far left you open the brochure.
The second column on page two would be Page ?4? or the page in the center of the completely opened brochure.
The third column on page two would be Page ?5? or the page that you see on the far right when the brochure is completely open.
Fill it In
Now, I just have to fill Pages 2,3,4,and 5 with teasing information, fill the front page with an overview, and empty the back page for business name and phone number... or maybe a checklist of questions to ask before calling... maybe.
Oops!
Now, I just have to line up the duplex printing, through margins or printer options...
Oh, HELP! :)

2) In Print options, there is a "Brochure" checkbox.
I am seeing no use at current for this "Brochure" option.
The ? help and the OoO help system information about the brochure checkbox does not describe anything helpful for a trifold brochure.
How would this option help me in printing a trifold brochure, or does it?

Thank you for your help.
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 7.x + Windows XP Pro & HP Home
jodynoel

Thanks AndrewZ

Post by jodynoel »

Hi AndrewZ,

I just wanted to thank you for the excellent template. It's exactly what I needed! :bravo:

Thanks,
Jody
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 8