[Solved] I can't get an Access file to open with Base

Discuss the database features
maples

[Solved] I can't get an Access file to open with Base

Post by maples »

Help! I am taking an online Access course and the professor offered Open Office as an option for those of us who don't have Microsoft Access. However, I can't open the Access files!! I selected Open Office when windows prompted me to 'select a program to open with' and all I received was two lines of jibberish!!! I have been playing with it for an hour and absolutely cannot figure out why these Access files won't open!!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: I can't get an Access file to open with Base

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to open OOo first and to open your file from here.

NB: moved the thread to the Base forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Like many other database engines, Microsoft's JET database engine serves data to other programs utilizing a mechanism called "odbc". Since you did not mention your operating system, I assume you are a Windows user. There are some wikis and tutorials on how to connect to Access (or any other database) via odbc on a Windows machine. You may need some extra connectivity tools from Microsoft, set up a odbc datasource in Window's system panel and create a OOo-Base file, connecting to the odbc datasource.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

You can not open MSA .mdb files with Base, but you could connect to it, on MS win.
New File> Database select third option connect to existing database, from drop down list select Access and finish.
More detailed description on OOo wiki
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MSA-Base_Faq
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
nwhitten

Post by nwhitten »

I also can't open an Access file with Base. Can someone help me. I am not that computer literate and would need simple instructions.

Thanks,
nwhitten
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

See OOo wiki, for connecting to MSA:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... oft_Access
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
whbos

Post by whbos »

Base keeps crashing as soon as I open a very large MS Access 2000 file. I'm using Windows and version 2.3.1 of OpenOffice. I've been able to open an Access file before, but it doesn't import all of the records. This database is over 270kb's in size and contains images which accounts for its size.

I'd eventually like to convert all of my old MS databases and completely switch over to OpenOffice products, but this flaw in Base prevents me from dumping MS Access. Will future versions of Base handle MS Access files better?
sfureman

Post by sfureman »

I am having the same problem with Base crashing. As soon as I find a fix I will post.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

whbos wrote: This database is over 270kb's in size and contains images which accounts for its size.
I'm guessing you mean > 270 Megs in size.

Still it should not be crashing - slow maybe but even there not really that slow.

Can you tell me which version of OO.o you are using and exactly how you are connecting to the MS Access file and is it an mdb file?
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
whbos

Post by whbos »

DrewJensen wrote:
whbos wrote: This database is over 270kb's in size and contains images which accounts for its size.
I'm guessing you mean > 270 Megs in size.

Still it should not be crashing - slow maybe but even there not really that slow.

Can you tell me which version of OO.o you are using and exactly how you are connecting to the MS Access file and is it an mdb file?
Yes, 270 or so MBs. It is crashing. I am using the latest version of OO. I am opening the original Access file (mdb). I tried exporting from Access to a DBF file and it still crashed.
WinXP, Pentium 4, 2GB memory
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Ok let me re-phrase

I just want to be sure you are doing the following:

From OpenOffie.org main menu

File > new > database

On the first page of the Base wizard you select "Connect to existing database" ( NOT "Open existing database " )
On the drop down list now activated you select MS Access
On the next page of the wizard you add the name of the mdb file.
Save the Base file.

You then open the Base file that "Connects" to the MDB file and when you try to open a table it crashes.

Is that all correct?
whbos

Post by whbos »

From OpenOffie.org main menu

File > new > database

On the first page of the Base wizard you select "Connect to existing database" ( NOT "Open existing database " )
On the drop down list now activated you select MS Access
On the next page of the wizard you add the name of the mdb file.
Save the Base file.

You then open the Base file that "Connects" to the MDB file and when you try to open a table it crashes.

Is that all correct?

No, I've been trying to "Open existing database" and then the program closes. I'll try your method instead and see if it does the same.
whbos

Post by whbos »

Actually I'm using the Wizard because it is the first thing that comes up. I just tried that and to create a new DB and it crashed. I might need to reinstall this program. Something is wrong with it and I just did a reformat of my hard drive and reinstalled everything.
whbos

Post by whbos »

Okay, after using your method it worked fine. The only thing is it doesn't save my forms from Access so I guess I have to recreate them.
sfureman

Re: [Solved] I can't get an Access file to open with Base

Post by sfureman »

I have followed the Base wizard. I have referenced Wiki. I have followed Mr. Johnson's instructions. I can still NOT view the tables in my primary MDB database without Base crashing.

I have a 70Gb drive with about 20Gb free, Pent 4 processor, Win XP with 512Mb ram. My primary MDB is about 137Mb. I have a smaller (988K MDB I can open and view with no problems. I should mention that I have had the larger MDB open and viewable in the past.

Am I facing a memory (physical or virtual) problem? Should I attempt to free disk space for Windows virtual memory?

Any help or advice will be appreciated.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

If you told me you where opening a 100 Meg table then it might be a virtual memory issue - but from the sounds of it the problem is just when you try to connect.

In other words - does the base window open - but when you try to click on the table icon on the left it crashes?
sfureman

Post by sfureman »

DrewJensen wrote:If you told me you where opening a 100 Meg table then it might be a virtual memory issue - but from the sounds of it the problem is just when you try to connect.

In other words - does the base window open - but when you try to click on the table icon on the left it crashes?

That is EXACTLY the problem I am having when I connect to this specific MDB. Base opens to the "Form" icon. When I attempt to view the table list Base pauses then crashes within less than 10 seconds. The directory holding the MDB shows a locking record (as is normal when Access crashes) so I feel Base is connecting properly.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Any chance that the database is corrupt in some way?

Right now the largest mdb file is a little over 16 Megs and I can work with it - but I also have 1.5 gig of real memory.
sfureman

Post by sfureman »

DrewJensen wrote:Any chance that the database is corrupt in some way?

Right now the largest mdb file is a little over 16 Megs and I can work with it - but I also have 1.5 gig of real memory.
It is possible that the MDB may be corrupt although I had no problems lately (aside from this issue). I no longer have access to MS Access to try and open the file in that manner.
sfureman

Post by sfureman »

sfureman wrote:
DrewJensen wrote:Any chance that the database is corrupt in some way?

It is possible that the MDB may be corrupt although I had no problems lately (aside from this issue). I no longer have access to MS Access to try and open the file in that manner.
On the chance that the MDB was corrupt I downloaded and ran "Jet compact utility". The file reduced in size by 2 Mb, perhaps it was corrupt...

I just tried to create a new ODB with the same crash results I have explained previously. Any more ideas for me to try? I truly appreciate your assistance.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Yes - try using ADO and or ODBC instead of the built in MS Access SDB

From the new databse wizard select ODBC perhaps - on the page where it asks for the ODBC datasource name if you click on Browse you can create a new DSN for the connection...then just finish up as normal.

The Internal MS aCCESS sdbc driver actually makes use of ADO, so I would try ODBC first and see if this works.