I can't open saved text document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
peter.ahs

I can't open saved text document

Post by peter.ahs »

Hello! I have made a document in writer (42 pages) and then saved it as a doc-file, there was a power interruption before I finalized the document. When I restarted the computer and open Writer again and re-created the document, I had 42 pages with ##### instead of my text.
Is there anyone who can help me so I can re-create the document so I do not have to rewrite everything.

Best regards
Peter
Last edited by peter.ahs on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and MS Vista
RoryOF

Re: I can´t open saved text document

Post by RoryOF »

Tell your computer to search for files of type *.bak, (selecting hidden and system files to be sure you get everything). It may throw up a backup copy, but don't expect too much.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
peter.ahs

Post by peter.ahs »

Understands now that documents saved in doc file, is not always possible to recreate so from now on it will be odt and pdf files
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and MS Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We have all been there and learned the hard way! Hopefully, it is like getting one's fingers burned and you learn from it.

It is best practice to save in .odt format, no matter what the final format desired, until the document is complete. A document should be named _immediately_ it is commenced. It is useful to adopt the habit of saving by typing CTRL S whenever you have done a major edit, or need to walk away from computer. Make sure Tools / Options / Load and Save /General / " Always make Backup copy" and "Save Autorecovery information" are both checked.

System stability is important. I do not believe in the use of one's work computer as a multimedia display centre. It is my feeling that one's work is more important and that running many other programs (particularly multimedia programs) concurrently with a major writing/editing task is asking for _trouble_.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, you're not alone: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10