[Solved] PDF Import extension doesn't install

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
TonyV17

[Solved] PDF Import extension doesn't install

Post by TonyV17 »

I have tried to install this extension and it just will not go in!! It appears to install, then fails with about three error messages relating to files msvcm90.dll and two others very similar. The end of the message is "Cannot get symbol:component_getImplementationEnvironment-nor." It appears to me as gobbledygook, so can anyone tell me how to get this thing installed? The extension appears to go in and is showing in the Extension Manager, but there is no enable button, just the remove button. I have XP Home SP3 and Ooo 3.1.1 build 9420.

I have tried to install it several times today, I even un-installed Ooo and reinstalled, just in case, but the end result was the same, a lemon!!

Thanks

TonyV17
Last edited by TonyV17 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 4.0.1 iMAC Mavericks 10.9
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Pdf-Import

Post by r4zoli »

Try to reset user profile, [Tutorial] The OOo user profile.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

r4zoli

Did that. No difference. It still will not install!

TonyV17
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

msvcm90.dll is part of the Microsoft C Run Time.

As I'm on too (XP SP3) I downloaded the extension, copied it to the desktop, and without OOo running, double-clicked it. The extension manager window appeared, I accepted the license and that was that, it installed OK.

How are you installing yours - from within OOo or as described above?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I ran into this problem a long time ago with some application or other. You should search yoor system (hidden and system files) for msvcm90.dll. This should be in C:\winnt\system32 or C:\windows\system32 (whichever name your computer uses). I think it is enough to copy it to that location, then reboot your computer. If that doesn't work then it may need to be registered - I've forgotten the syntax of that but will look it up if you need to know,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

TheGurkha
I try to install it via the Extentions Manager. and locate the download file in my Downloads directory. It then goes through the motions but kicks back with these various files MSVCM90.dll, MSVCP90.dll and MSVCR90.dll. Are you saying that if I click on the downloaded file it will install? It didn't do once because it is a zip file and all it did was unzip it in to win-zip, and the files show no set up file or an .oxt file. Hence my reasons for going through the Extensions Manager.

RoryOF
I'm not quite sure what you are saying. If I find those files on my system, are you saying I should copy them in to the files that form the Extension? If this is so, where are they housed? I only see the ones in the zip system!!

I've just been through my machine and have found all the suspect files. Not sure why it says it cannot find them!!

Thanks

TonyV17
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My memory is that these files were on my machine, but needed to be copied into c:\windows/system32 and the computer restarted before they could be found by the install.
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

RoryOF

Will have a look at doing what you suggest later on today. I'm just on my way out so it will have to wait for a bit!

Will let you know how I get on.

Thamks

TonyV17
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

RoryOF

Did that, but no luck. It still will not install.

TonyV17
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

It isn't zipped when I download it.

I got it from here: Sun PDF import Extension.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

TheGurkha

It is a zipped file. It is sun-pdfimport.zip, a Winzip file at 2.42MB, according to the download window. I actually downloaded it from the same link you gave when I first started on this little episode!

I think I will give up on it. I have tried every which way to get it working including moving the *.dll files around, but it really isn't worth the aggravation. I wanted it to be able to edit some pdf files, but think I will go for Foxit and there bolt on goody! (Unless, of course, there is an easy resolution.)

Thanks for your interest.

TonyV17
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

I just went back and checked and it is (for me) as a .oxt file.

I put it on media fire for you, try getting it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/j1nefznjd ... import.oxt
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Give it one last try.

Put the file in a known location, as it arrives. It should be type .oxt. Don't worry about whether this is concealing a .zip file or not. The installer knows if it is, and how to handle it. Then use OpenOffice Extension manager, select Add, and point it to that file. It worked for me (Win2K) and worked for Gurkha (Win XP). Don't try to help it by unzipping it.
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

TheGurkha and RoryOF

I took the file from the link you supplied and it went in a treat. But when I have been going through the Extension Manager and do it thru the zipped file, it all goes pear shaped. In fact, when un-zipped just to see what was there, there is no .oxt file. So maybe, it is doing something silly to the English !!

Thanks for the link to the .oxt version. That has now worked.

I'll close this out now and thanks for your continued help.

TonyV17
TonyV17

Post by TonyV17 »

Can't see how to close this out. But it is now ready for closure.

TonyV17
bigtone58

Re: [Solved] PDF Import extension doesn't install

Post by bigtone58 »

I had the same symptoms described above with "cannot get symbol" errors for msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, and msvcm90.dll when the extension was downloaded as "sun-pdfimport.zip". This caused the extension to fail to install using the Extension Manager.

To resolve this only took the renaming of "sun-pdfimport.zip" to "sun-pdfimport.oxt" and then adding it again using the Extension Manager. This did not require any relocation of the msvcr90.dll, msvcp90.dll, and msvcm90.dll files and everything works satisfactorily.