[Solved] How do I add fonts to Calc?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ToddAndMargo

[Solved] How do I add fonts to Calc?

Post by ToddAndMargo »

Hi All,

I just downloaded a set on fonts that have slashed zeros (http://www.wm8c.com/hamfonts_collection.zip). I stuck them in "/usr/share/fonts/HamFonts". Then restarted Calc. No Joy. They are not in the drop down list. Not to ask too stupid a question, but how do I get Calc to read them?

Many thanks,
-T
Last edited by ToddAndMargo on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: How do I add fonts to Calc?

Post by RoryOF »

What operating system are you using? Font installation differs from OS to OS. In Windows you open Control Panel / Fonts and select Add Font, and point it to the font you wish to add. Thereafter any application can use that font. In linux there are different methods.

Having made the font available, you then may have to select that Font in Calc to use it. It may be possible to customise Calc to use that as a default, but I know nothing of that, s someone else will have to pick up that point.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ToddAndMargo

Post by ToddAndMargo »

RoryOF wrote:What operating system are you using?
CentOS 5.4, which is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In Ubuntu, if one uses Nautilus and clicks on the font, it opens the display of that font in Font Viewer. On the RHS of that sceen is an Install Font button. It may be similar in Red Hat or Centos. I'd google for "install fonts centos"
You enable the default use of the font by editing the default Calc style.
I'm going off the air now.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ToddAndMargo

Post by ToddAndMargo »

RoryOF wrote:In Ubuntu, if one uses Nautilus and clicks on the font, it opens the display of that font in Font Viewer. On the RHS of that sceen is an Install Font button. It may be similar in Red Hat or Centos. I'd google for "install fonts centos"
You enable the default use of the font by editing the default Calc style.
I'm going off the air now.
When I got your response, I open up OO Writer to see if the fonts were there. And they were. Okay. So I reopen SCalc, and they were also there. So, I had them in the correct location all along. Then I remembered I had a second SCalc spreadsheet opened an hour or so earlier hiding behind all the other windows. I had closed it a few minutes before I got your response. And now it all makes sense.

So, the answer to my question is:

1) make sure you have *all* Open Office apps closed
2) drop your fonts into a subdirectory of /usr/share/fonts. (Just make up a name for the subdirectory.)
3) restart your OpenOffice apps

Thank you all for the moral support in helping me figure this out!
-T