which cover cd/dvd magazines have open office

Let us know how we are doing -
ERR

which cover cd/dvd magazines have open office

Post by ERR »

This is a idea I had a few weeks ago.

I have open office 2.3 , I got it just after it was released within a few days,
But I would prefer to buy a computer magazine with cover CD or DVD with the latest release on that when it comes out, as 6 hours to download 100meg is a bit annoying if you get cut off just near the end.

So when 2.4 comes out and later versions, would it be possible for Open Office web site to give a list of magazines and which month they hope to have the latest release on it, so this saves me wasting 6 hours+ downloading and not only that might also get windows & Linux in one hit.

From Eric
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: which cover cd/dvd magazines have open office

Post by DrewJensen »

What a great idea...

Not sure how to round that information up...probably best done just by having users make an entry to some thread when they run across a magazine with OpenOffice.org included on a CD...hmmm how to get that request out to members??
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Open Office 2.3 is available on the PC Advisor DVD for January 2008. That's the UK version.

I suspect that it will be hard to keep track of all of the magazines that have this. Community feedback to a sticky thread is most likely to succeed. Magazine editors are probably just too busy to keep the Oo community informed.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

I agree - which forum to attach it to then...General Discussion?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

DrewJensen wrote:I agree - which forum to attach it to then...General Discussion?
I vote for it too.

For information, the 2.3 version is also available in the Linux Identity Office Volume One (many things on that DVD, including all installers : Linux, Mac, Windows, Solaris) plus templates, tutorials, ... and even the SDK (Software Development Kit) with all the API documentation to write macros.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

DrewJensen wrote:I agree - which forum to attach it to then...General Discussion?
It would probably get missed there. How about Setup and Troubleshooting?
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

An announcement or a sticky i Setup and Troubleshooting sounds about right to me.
ERR

Post by ERR »

Thank you for the replys
If all else fails I would be happy to pass on any details on any magazines I find,
I am in New Zealand but from a good bookshop and if the magazine is popular there are magazines from all over the world.
I could also drop a Email to magazine or two and invite them to do it themself, once the page has decided.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

This is an example of something that I think needs less committee type work and just someone does it and we all contribute as we see fit..let it grow organically in other words.

My first thought is just a sticky post in the setup area mentioned, let people add new posts as they will - and if we want ( Mods and Admins ) could roll the information into the head post at their leisure.

So - if anyone wants to enter the first I'd say go for it - general user account can not make this a sticky, but if you do so one of the mods or admins will change it over
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

It would be good if old posts were removed after 3 months to keep information current and concise, while allowing time for surface shipped US magazines to show up in UK, UK magazines in Oz & NZ, etc.
ERR

Post by ERR »

Ok how about this,
This "section"? is "Site Feedback" why not have a "version 2.3" or "latest version" latest version" might be better and 2.3 could be put in the subject line, then you post any strange things you notice with the newest version what are the newest features are, sand $"bingo"$ which magazines will have the latest version on their cover cd/dvd, it might be of interest of the computer magazines to keep in contact with this "section", we members might learn in buying a CD/DVD from our local bookshop that there is a great magazine that goes with it and a magazine worth putting on our monthly shopping list even when it does not have open office on the cover CD/DVD.
ERR

cover DVD magazines have open office

Post by ERR »

PC Authority, Australia
January 2008, Open Office 2.3

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/magazine.aspx?mode=cd