[Solved] MS Word Page format is changing in OpenOffice

Discuss the word processor
Venubabu549

[Solved] MS Word Page format is changing in OpenOffice

Post by Venubabu549 »

Hi,

I have a document created in MS Word with proper tables and headings. But when i opened the document the OpenOffice page formatting is not same as in MS Word and Vice Versa

Can some body suggest the necessary steps to do to not to change the document formats.

Please find the attached documents in MS Word and saved the MS Word document into OpenOffice for reference.
Attachments
MS Word.odt
MS Word file was saved into OpenOffice File
(17.58 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
MS Word.doc
Orginally created MS Word file
(85.5 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.1.1 on Windows XP
rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: MS Word Page format is changing when open in OpenOffice

Post by rudolfo »

If I look at the two documents (the .doc opened in Word 2000 and the .odt in Writer 3.1.1) they look pretty much the same. Can you try to specify what you think is wrong. The tables are formatted the same on first sight, even those that are wider then the textwidth. I don't talk about word wrap, because the changing word wrap can't be avoided with word processors that use floating point calculation. It might even differ if you open a Word document created on a 32 bit Windows system on Mac OSX.
The header and footer are different. I guess this is your main concern. This is typical because Writer has the Page-Style concept, that does not exist in MS Word. If headers are not converted correctly you might either try to simplify them (avoid table formatting in headers/footers and other fancy things) or you have to rework the document after it has been opened in OpenOffice.

If you really need the exact format on any system pdf is your choice.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
Venubabu549

Post by Venubabu549 »

Table widths are not same as in both the documents. Tables width are expanding in OpenOffice document
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Okay, I show you what I get, when I open the .doc file in MS Word 2000 and the .odt with Writer 3.1.1 (OS in both cases Win2000). The upper part with the menu and title bar is Word 2000 (German version) with page layout and 100% magnification. The lower part below the red line is Writer 3.1.1 (page view and 100% as well). The grey lines in writer are markers for the page layout (text body with margin around, but they are not printed, of course).
Same document in MS Word and OOo Writer
Same document in MS Word and OOo Writer
You can see that the vertical lines of the tables are all "exactly" above each other: the visual formatting is the same.
For the two history tables on the second page it is the same, though I don't show them here with a screenshot.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
Venubabu549

Post by Venubabu549 »

Thank you for clarifying the doubt. Because two border line are coming in OpenOffice i thought the alignment is changing.