Text Wrap

Discuss the word processor
dontgetit

Text Wrap

Post by dontgetit »

I inserted picture. Then clicked it; format, pic., wrap and nothing happens to text on the page. There is no text except above and below the picture.
Please help.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
acknak

Re: Text Wrap

Post by acknak »

The default text wrap ("None") does not allow text to flow on the left or right of the image.

If you want the text to flow around the image, try this:

Right-click on the image, choose "Wrap" then "Page".

If that's not working, you'll have to give us a little more information about what you're trying to do, what steps you tried, and what happens when you try it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dontgetit

Post by dontgetit »

oK here's what I did. I typed a page, then separated two line by some blank space, then inserted photo from file. Then I did format, picture, text wrap. Nothing happened. Then I right clicked picture and hit wrap and full page--nothing. Then I hit optimal page--nothing. No matter what I do the text does not change and will not wrap.
I will copy my text, delete the page with picture, paste the text, import the picture and try again. In this document by the way I have wrapped text around 9 pictures, so maybe I exceed capacity of the program--is that it?
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

No, what probably went wrong is that you put the picture in a paragraph on its own, without any text. In that case you won't get text wrap. Put the picture in a paragraph with text and select a wrap mode and it should work.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
dontgetit

Post by dontgetit »

THANKS,
acknak

Post by acknak »

... I typed a page, then separated two line by some blank space...
I'm not sure how it would matter if the image is in a paragraph of its own. Text should still flow around it, even if the text is in a different paragraph.

Try this, as a test:
1) File > New > Text Document
2) Type: dt, then press F3. This will insert a paragraph of "Dummy Text".
3) Press Enter, once, to make an empty paragraph (a blank line), then make another dummy paragraph below the empty one.
4) Put the cursor on the empty paragraph
5) Insert > Picture > From file; select your image and OK. The text should move above and below the image, but not flow around it.
6) Click on the image to select it.
7) Drag the green handles around the edge of the image to make the image smaller than the document margins. You can't wrap text around an image that takes the whole width of the page.
8) Right click on the image and choose Wrap > Page. The text should now flow around the image.

The sequence should look like this:
Attachments
text_wrap.png
acknak

Post by acknak »