[Solved] DELETE and BACKSPACE buttons don't work

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
bagrol1

[Solved] DELETE and BACKSPACE buttons don't work

Post by bagrol1 »

I'm using the latest Open Office on Ubuntu Gutsy. When I hit delete or backspace in Writer nothing happens as the buttons were inactive. These buttons work in the Spreadsheet and Abiword without a problem.

Please help.
Thanx.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
acknak

Re: DELETE and BACKSPACE buttons don't work

Post by acknak »

I hate to ask, but Is the document read-only?

Do the keys work inside dialog windows, e.g. Edit > Find & Replace?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

I saved it and checked that it's read and write option.

Yes, the keys work in Find and Replace, but again not in the main window.
acknak wrote:I hate to ask, but Is the document read-only?

Do the keys work inside dialog windows, e.g. Edit > Find & Replace?
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Try the menu Tools >Customise >Keyboard : Reset
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

No change. This is really strange as in all other OO programs the keys work just fine!!!
kingfisher wrote:Try the menu Tools >Customise >Keyboard : Reset
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

In that case, you will have to assign the keys individually. They are in the 'Edit' category. On my version they are each described as 'Delete contents'. If that's still the case on your version, you will have to find which is which by trial and error. You can assign them as you please.
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

Strange. It should work. It does not work on a clean install then what is OO worth??? Plus the menu text looks awful and I don't see a place where to improve the font. There is only an option to turn antialiasing off but it does not help at all. What does Abiword have that its menus look so sharp???
kingfisher wrote:In that case, you will have to assign the keys individually. They are in the 'Edit' category. On my version they are each described as 'Delete contents'. If that's still the case on your version, you will have to find which is which by trial and error. You can assign them as you please.
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

A new development. If I start Writer as root the keys work!!! But if I execute it in regular way from my account then they don't as if there were no permissions to the file. Very strange as with other progs with OO suite it is OK.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

To change the menu fonts, first, use the menu Tools >Options >oo.o >Fonts : Replacement table - replace Andale Sans UI with your choice. Secondly, in the same section (oo.o) >View, de-select "Use system font for user interface".

Are you saying that you cannot assign keys to "Delete contents"?
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

I tried to assign Backspace with some other function in the assign table but it did not work. The only step which worked was login as root otherwise the keys are inactive.

Thanks!!!
kingfisher wrote:To change the menu fonts, first, use the menu Tools >Options >oo.o >Fonts : Replacement table - replace Andale Sans UI with your choice. Secondly, in the same section (oo.o) >View, de-select "Use system font for user interface".

Are you saying that you cannot assign keys to "Delete contents"?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Lots of issues here!

Had you tried to rename your OOo user profile (~/.openoffice.org2)?
If no improvement, you should try to install the official version of OOo : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rtw30606

Post by rtw30606 »

Hi

I have problems with the delete key when editing Table of Content entries. On OS X, I found the del key would work (two keys below F13).
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

I tried to change the Andale Sans UI with Tahoma font, but nothing happened. I tried both tips, but absolutely no change in display of menus, i.e., very fuzzy looking fonts.
kingfisher wrote:To change the menu fonts, first, use the menu Tools >Options >oo.o >Fonts : Replacement table - replace Andale Sans UI with your choice. Secondly, in the same section (oo.o) >View, de-select "Use system font for user interface".
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

Which file has user profile? I can see an USER folder with many subfolders...

I tried Ubuntu OO, official OO and now StarOffice 8. All of them have the same issues, i.e.,

1. Menu fonts look ugly and replacement table does not do anything along with turning of system fonts.

2. Backspace and Delete keys are inactive (with exception to using the Writer as Root).
Hagar de l'Est wrote:Lots of issues here!

Had you tried to rename your OOo user profile (~/.openoffice.org2)?
If no improvement, you should try to install the official version of OOo : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

OK. Finally I got the replacement fonts to work on Offical OO.

But noticed that in addition to Backspace and Delete, the arrow keys don't work either.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

As Hagar de l'Est suggests, your remaining problems could relate to the user settings folder. If you re-name the folder, the software will create a new settings folder when you re-launch it. If that does not fix your issues, you can reinstate the old folder by reversing the re-naming. You must exit all OO processes including the quick starter before re-naming the folder.
bagrol1

Post by bagrol1 »

It worked. I renamed the folder user and OO created new profile. Now all the keys are functional.

Thanks everybody!!!
kingfisher wrote:As Hagar de l'Est suggests, your remaining problems could relate to the user settings folder. If you re-name the folder, the software will create a new settings folder when you re-launch it. If that does not fix your issues, you can reinstate the old folder by reversing the re-naming. You must exit all OO processes including the quick starter before re-naming the folder.