Opening Wordpro Documents

Discuss the word processor
DaveLea

Opening Wordpro Documents

Post by DaveLea »

Has OpenOffice developed an extension to add .lwp to the list of files to open or save to? Wordpro is one of the best word processors out there and it would be convenient to be able to open those files when OO is running.

I'm in a bind at this moment as my disk drives have both gone dead (drivers not loading) and I was in the process of loading the new Lotus Suite after having uninstalled the old one.

There are so many other file types listed, why not .lwp?
David Lea - OpenOffice 3.1 on Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Opening Wordpro Documents

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: [Solved] Opening Lotus WordPro Docs?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Monday, October 26, 2009
DaveLea wrote:Has OpenOffice developed an extension to add .lwp to the list of files to open or save to? Wordpro is one of the best word processors out there and it would be convenient to be able to open those files when OO is running.
While as usual Hagar has given good advice, I achieve the same with two methods.

One, you can install the Go-oo.org branch which has the LWP import filter. Personally I find the filter is in need of work.

Two, you can install Lotus Symphony, which is free from IBM. It opens LWP files which can be saved in ODT format for editing in OOo.
There are so many other file types listed, why not .lwp?
LWP ranks only behind the MS Work and WordStar for Windows formats as the worst format for which to create a filter. Part of the problem is due to use of high bits as formatting controls. Most of the problem comes from one format really being four depending on compression and font inclusions settings.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Paddy Apling

Post by Paddy Apling »

I have the same problem that I have a stack of .lwp files which I need on occasion to open.
I have downloaded Symphony - and apparently the latest version will not open WordPro files (or at least I cannot find .lwp in the listing) - so the only way at present is to go to WordPro, save the file as .rtf and then open the .rtf file in Open Office.

I have not tried this on a file with a complicated layout, which may very well fail.

It seems to me that facility to open WordPro files directly in Open Offic is a major need.

Paddy
OpenOffice 3.2 om Windows7
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Monday, March 15, 2010
Paddy Apling wrote:I have the same problem that I have a stack of .lwp files which I need on occasion to open.
I have downloaded Symphony - and apparently the latest version will not open WordPro files (or at least I cannot find .lwp in the listing) - so the only way at present is to go to WordPro, save the file as .rtf and then open the .rtf file in Open Office.
The latest LS is 1.3 and it does open LWP files. The beta for the next LS does not have the capability and the initial reports were that there were no plans to include it. But, the comments about this were so negative that it looks like it may be included.

The Go-oo.org OOo branch continues to have the LWP filter included. There is a LWP filter extension but it is not very good.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2