How do I turn off auto formatting?

Discuss the word processor
Clockwork_killa

How do I turn off auto formatting?

Post by Clockwork_killa »

Im new to OpenOffice, and so far it seems like a great alternative to MSoffice except for one minor problem. No matter what document Im working on in writer, whether Im creating editing or simply viewing, the auto format goes nuts. Even if I just open a document to review it, it will start ading bullet points and numbers all over the place, and its really quite frustrating. I have tried turning off auto format by going into the format menu and un-ticking all the auto format options, but that hasnt done anything, it still seems to do whatever it wants to my documents. Ive looked at the AutoCorrect options too an that doesnt explain it either.
Can someone tell me how to stop this please?
Thanks
FPeters
Volunteer

Re: How do I turn off auto formatting?

Post by FPeters »

Ive looked at the AutoCorrect options too an that doesnt explain it either.
Can someone tell me how to stop this please?
I don't know what options you are referrin to. But the right place to disable the automatic functions
is the Tools > AutoCorrect > Options menu

-f
Clockwork_killa

Thats what I meant when I said auto correct options, Ive looke there and cant see anything that would cause the behaviour Im seeing.
Thanks anyway
FPeters
Volunteer

Post by FPeters »

That sounds like a weird behaviour. Have you tried reinstalling?

-f
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Take a look at Format -> AutoFormat; see if While typing is checked.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

Is this reformatting of the document happening "live" (changing) while you are paging through the document, or is the document just badly reformatted when you open it?
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
Clockwork_killa

The formatting is happening live, constantly, Ive unchecked the Autoformat>while typing that was the first thing I did, but it hasnt had much effect.
Maybe a reinstall is the way to go.
Thanks for the help anyway
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

On the AutoCorrect options tab there is a column called [M]. Anything ON in that column will be carried out on existing text when a doc is opened. If you don't save before closing then it will be done again next time you open the same doc. Is that what is going on here?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

huw wrote:On the AutoCorrect options tab there is a column called [M]. Anything ON in that column will be carried out on existing text when a doc is opened. If you don't save before closing then it will be done again next time you open the same doc. Is that what is going on here?
That's not supposed to happen automatically. The options under [M] are supposed to be applied only when Format > Autoformat > Apply is selected.
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

Bill wrote:
huw wrote:On the AutoCorrect options tab there is a column called [M]. Anything ON in that column will be carried out on existing text when a doc is opened. If you don't save before closing then it will be done again next time you open the same doc. Is that what is going on here?
That's not supposed to happen automatically. The options under [M] are supposed to be applied only when Format > Autoformat > Apply is selected.
Oops, you're right, good point. Although I was sure there is a setting somewhere to automatically AutoFormat a doc as soon as it is opened. I can't find it now if there is. Is there?
thefig

Post by thefig »

Wow! One simple act!

Format>>>AutoFormat>>>While Typing>>> Now Unchecked

And the most annoying thing actually stopped!!!

Thank you floris v !!!!!!!!!!
OpenOffice 3.31 on Windows 7 Ultimate
Get insider secrets to the world's #1 Mandatory Instruction manual on video - httpx://tcotf.com
Graeme16

Post by Graeme16 »

I found "Format>>>AutoFormat>>>While Typing>>> Unchecked" solves the Autoformat problem, but unfortunately disables Spell-checking while typing. :(

Enhancement Request
Separate Options required for Auto-format and Auto Spellcheck (or if they are there, please advise how to find them). :D :super: :bravo:
Therefore a new Option could be created in OpenOffice writer to manage whether Auto-Spellcheck is required - although this would be better placed globally so that is effects all sub-systems, not just Writer. :D :super:
Existing Option (Format>>>AutoFormat>>>While Typing) should apply only to Autoformat Paragraph. :D :super:
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AutoSpellCheck and AutoCorrect ARE separate options. The AutoSpellCheck option is at Tools > Options Language Settings > Writing Aids > Options. The AutoCorrect options are at Tools > AutoCorrect Options.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

All this has nothing to do with "formatting". It is about content.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101735&p=490965
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice