[Solved] Using Columns in Writer ?

Discuss the word processor
inkimar

[Solved] Using Columns in Writer ?

Post by inkimar »

Hello,

I want to use columns in Writer.
I am able to create 3 columns as I want them, I am writing a test for my students.
The first column is the Number of the Question, the second is the question itself, the third column are the points given.

Creating the 3 columns I am stuck in the first one.
Moving my mouse to the second or third column and hitting the left mouse-button - does not make my courser move
to the second or third column - how I am I supposed to move between the columns.
Tab does not work either.

Hope that you can help me out here.

Regards, i

Flame icon removed. That icon means 'Tagged to a known issue' (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Last edited by TheGurkha on Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
Openoffice 3.1.1, Windows Vista
bobban
Volunteer

Re: Using Columns in Writer ?

Post by bobban »

Hi inkimar and welcome to OOCF. :)

I am really too big a Writer noob to give an authoritative opinion on the subject (which i am sure will come soon), but from just toying around now what I have noticed is that if you typed to the bottom of the first column then the cursor will move onto the next column, rather than first column second page. So if you want to advance the cursor directly to the next column you can select from top menu "Insert->Manual Break..", then select the column break option. You want to insert a column break directly into the top of each of column of each page.

If you want to be able to continuously type down a column, even if it is across pages, you may be better off just inserting a table of three columns.
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

The text 'flows' from column one into column two when there is too much text for column one to contain, or you force a column break. But that isn't going to work for you, because you need to go back and forth between the columns as each column grows downwards.

It sounds like you will have more success in your particular case with a 3 column Table, with the borders turned off so they do not print.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
inkimar

Post by inkimar »

Thanks Bobban.

I think that I will work with tables, then I am able to sum up the points
from all my questions - new questions are seen at the horizon.
Awkward to work with columns in that way I intended.

Thanks for your time,

regards, i
Openoffice 3.1.1, Windows Vista