[Solved] Italics in matrix/ vector notation

Discuss the formula editor
dmk2

[Solved] Italics in matrix/ vector notation

Post by dmk2 »

Vectors and matrices are typically shown in bold, NON-italic fonts. I cannot find any reference to a way to do this on open office math. Bolding is easy, but I can't find a way to turn off the italics consistently. Putting latin letters in quotes works for them, this does not work for Greek. Any suggestions?

thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Hagar Delest

Re: matrix/ vector notation

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: [HOWTO]Default fonts for Math Objects?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dmk2

Post by dmk2 »

I don't think it does it. The font dialog box does not provide a non-italic option for for variables. There is a non-italic option (the default) for text, and you tell OO to insert text with quotation marks. However, if you do that, greek letters come out as their English names. E.g., the letter beta comes out %beta, rather than the Greek letter beta.

What is needed is something like mathtype's approach, where you simply select matrix/vector format, and it then uses bold without italics.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Try this:

%ALPHA nitalic %ALPHA
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dmk2

Post by dmk2 »

That's interesting. I tried this with lower and upper case alpha beta epsilon and theta. It worked on upper case alpha, beta, and epsilon. It seemed to have no visible effect on upper case theta or any of the lower-case letters. Puzzling.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yep, I see the same thing:
nitalic.png
nitalic.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 10446 times
The symbols I've highlighted are clearly italic but they should not be.

You can always use the actual Unicode characters within quotes, as I did in the bottom row. At least I don't see any problem with doing that, and it's less typing.

Unless someone has an explanation as to why "nitalic" is not working here, I think it needs to be filed as a bug.

PS: There's one more approach you could use, but it's a fair amount of work to set up. Define your own symbols, e.g. something like %vOMEGA ("vector OMEGA"). You can define the exact font and character should appear for that symbol, so you can make it bold, non-italic, whatever you need.

You define the symbols using Tools > Catalog.

It's a lot of work to define the symbols, but once you do, it's easier to input them in a formula.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

There is a problem with the OpenSymbol font. See this issue:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=36535
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice