[Solved] Microsoft office 2003

Not sure where to post? Post here!
joe2day

[Solved] Microsoft office 2003

Post by joe2day »

Some one told me that ms office 2003 was the same as open office. I went to a book store and seen books for MS office 2003 and also Ms office 2007.I also looked at the cost of both of them and they where about the same cost.Why are they selling office 2003 and 2007 .would office 2007 be the new version and that 2003.would be outdated? Just don't understand that.thanks for any help
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
acknak

Re: microsoft office 2003

Post by acknak »

OpenOffice is similar to MS Office, it is absolutely not the same as MS Office. OOo tries to be as compatible with MS Office as possible, but it is not perfectly compatible.

For various reasons, many people are still using MS Office 2003, so there is still a big market for such books.

MS Office 2007 is very different from both OpenOffice and MS Office 2003 as well.

Is that what you wanted to know?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

Yes I understand,So if office 2003 is very close to open office would it be better to buy a book for office 2003? I have not been able to see a copy of any open office books at Borders or Barnes&Noble,the only way they have them is if you order them, so you don't know what you are getting. Are there any open office books that are better that others? Thanks again for the help Joe
acknak

Post by acknak »

If you already have a book for MS Office, most of the concepts and basic procedures will carry over to OOo--however, I wouldn't recommend buying a book on MS Office to use with OOo. There are lots of good resources that are specific to OOo and you won't waste time trying to translate information where they are different. In fact, most OOo resources will highlight where OOo and MSO are different, whereas the MSO resources virtually ignore OOo. It's an attitude that comes from being the only game in town for so long.

You can start online here: The OpenOffice.org Documentation Project (OO.org wiki).

For books, there is a list here: OpenOffice.org Support (OO.org). Scroll down the page to the "Books" section. Some of the entries there are available either for free download as PDF files, or you can pay for a printed & bound copy through Lulu.com.

I have the earlier edition of Solveig Haugland's book and found it very helpful and well-organized. The other books I haven't seen so I can't say anything one way or the other.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

thank you again for the help.........
joe2day

Post by joe2day »

The book that you talked about is not in print any more but there is a book by Solveig Haugland that is called The open office.org2 guide book. and can be bought thru her at abt $35.00........ So I think I will get that one thanks again Joe