How to download Writer only?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Clueless in Seattle

How to download Writer only?

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

I'm trying to scrape by on a very small Social Security disability pension, so I can't afford a high speed internet connection.

Yesterday I went to the library to download Open Office, because they supposedly have a high speed connection there.

But the download took over 40 minutes, and as it was nearing completion I began closing the browser windows I had opened to kill time while waiting for the download to complete. The download occupied its own button on the browser taskbar, So I didn't realize that closing the browser windows would also kill the download before it had finished. Duh!

So I'm wondering if there's a way to download just the Writer component so I can try it out before spending another 40 minutes in the library again downloading the entire program.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 2000
Not really!
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: How to download Writer only?

Post by thomasjk »

No its all one tightly integrated suite. If it takes 40 minutes the library connection is not very fast. Do you have a friend with a high speed connection?
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
pingju
Volunteer

Post by pingju »

You can use a way that supports to continue download from broken point.

1. If your browser is Firefox, there is several extensions can be used for this purpose, such as DownThemAll

2. You can download it via a FTP client, such as FileZilla. Lot of OOo download mirror sites are FTP sites.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / XP SP3 EN
Clueless in Seattle

thomasjk wrote:No its all one tightly integrated suite. If it takes 40 minutes the library connection is not very fast. Do you have a friend with a high speed connection?
Does that mean then that I would have to run the whole kit and kaboodle each time I wanted to only use the Writer component?
Not really!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It is one single application which loads text document, spreadsheets, presentations and vector graphics. Depending on the type of document, it shows your documents in a different layout with slightly modified menues and buttons.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

Does that mean then that I would have to run the whole kit and kaboodle each time I wanted to only use the Writer component?
Yes, and no. You can install only Writer module (by selecting custom install), but savings on HDD place will be ~30 MB, if you installs Writer alone, compared to whole application installed. No reason to do this, main part of OOo installs any way, and when starts selects modules needs to edit the loaded document.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also there have been unexplained problems with sole Writer installs which were cured by a full install of the entire package.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Downloads directly from the OOo main site can be slow. You may be able to download faster by selecting one of the official mirror sites instead. When I select a nearby mirror site, the download is typically less than 8 minutes, but if I let OOo select the mirror site, it may be 35 minutes or more.

You can select an official mirror site at Mirrors Project
Clueless in Seattle

Thanks for all the info, folks!

I'll head over to the library today and give it another try.

(I tried again yesterday, but failed again due to my own ignorance of how the library browser works. They say the "the third time's the charm." I hope so ;o)
Not really!
dianeseattle

Post by dianeseattle »

I have to jump in on this thread, not only because it's about downloading Writer only, but because it follows Clueless in Seattle! You might say the same thing about me!

Anyway, I'm not technical at all but downloaded OOWriter years ago & loved it passionately. I used it instead of MS-Word, which I like fine, but I hate MS & its refusal to allow me to use the software versions I want, etc. But I don't want to get in a fight about that. I have a specific question.

How can I download an older version of Writer & nothing else? I've got a new computer which was purchased for me by a state program designed to get disabled people like me back to work, & I'm taking an online course out of UC-Berkeley. The computer comes with Windows 7 & won't allow me to use my old Word 2000, which is my favorite version, easiest to use & just generally tolerable to me.

But I'm finding the latest version of OOWriter is even more arcane than Word 11 or whatever program was installed on this computer--which I have now deleted in favor of Writer. I don't have the time to learn everything required to understand this new version. My program expires in 4 months & believe me, I need every minute of that time.

So I'm trying to download older versions of Writer so I can get this done. How can I accomplish that?

If I had any real savvy, I'd strip Win7 off my computer forever in favor of Linux or Unix or whatever software would allow me to be rid of Microsoft. But I don't. Maybe I can find someone down the line who can hold my hand & do this with me, or do it for me. I can't even figure out how to network two computers together so I can use the same internet device & printer.

Can anyone help me download an older, simpler version of OOWriter? I'm using 3.3.0 now.

dianeseattle
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See http://www.filehippo.com/download_openoffice/.

But you can't download OOo only. You have to get the whole package (as it has always been).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10