[Solved] Floating header rows to view/print large sheets

Discuss the spreadsheet application
qwertymodo

[Solved] Floating header rows to view/print large sheets

Post by qwertymodo »

So, I have a question along the lines of "is this possible and/or how do I go about requesting this as a feature"

In calc (or any spreadsheet, for that matter) it is very common for the first row of data to be a label row. This is taken into account in features such as data sorting where you can check the "range contains column labels" box, etc. However, one thing that I can't seem to figure out (or else hasn't been implemented yet), is how to make that label row stay visible when scrolling through a long list of data. It is very difficult to go through 10+ pages of data only to have to keep scrolling to the top of the page to see which column is which then go back again. The same goes for when I print that same long data list. The labels are only on the first page. I would like to have the option to specify a row or column (or even both) to use as a label, for viewing in long sheets, as well as for printing on each page. If this option doesn't exist, I am requesting it. If this is the wrong place to request features, please point me in the right direction. I realize this is a large project, and I realize it is all done for free, so thank you to the developers for their amazing product, and thank you to the forum members who take the time to answer questions like mine.

Here's a new sheet with lame column labels, but labels nonetheless
newsheet.jpg
Here's the same sheet after I scroll down...
scrolldown.jpg
Here is what I would like to be able to do...
myrequest.jpg
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acknak

Re: Floating header rows for viewing/printing large sheets

Post by acknak »

If your labels are in row #1, then...
1) Select row 2 (click on the row header)
2) Window > Freeze

For printing, you have to set up a print range, then you can configure the print range to repeat a number or rows and/or columns on each page.

See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 79&p=93759 for more discussion.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
qwertymodo

Re: Floating header rows for viewing/printing large sheets

Post by qwertymodo »

Thank you. I figured those options had to be in there somewhere, I could just never find them :D
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 Pro x64