[Solved] Upgrade patch cannot be installed by Win. Installer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
NormanS

[Solved] Upgrade patch cannot be installed by Win. Installer

Post by NormanS »

What is the catch to installing Version 3.1.1?

In response to a Secunia warning that my Open Office Version 2.4.3 needed to be updated, I went to the download page, where I found Version 3.1.1, but no patch for updating 2.4.3.

Accordingly, I un-istalled Version 2.4.3 and attempted to install Version 3.1.1 when an error message box popped up stating,
"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

As a result, I successfully re-installed Version 2.4.3 and then attempted to install Version 3.1.1 for the second time, but was interrupted by the same error message.

NormanS

Please don't double-post the same question. I have removed your other identical thread. See: The Survival guide (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office Version: 2.4
Operating System: Windows XP Media Version; SP3
Hagar Delest

Re: Upgrade patch cannot be installed by Windows Installer

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you downloaded OOo from the Sun web site? There is no patch, you need to install the whole suite. If you click the Get more languages link, you can have the installer without JRE (which is certainly already installed on your system).

Note that:
- You can keep 2.x in parallel with 3.x (don't allow the previous version to be removed during install process)
- Better not transfer your personal data during welcome process, it can wreck the new profile.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
NormanS

Post by NormanS »

Yes, I downloaded the install file from Sun's Web site for Open Office. As I pointed out in original post,
during my first attempt, I had previously deleted Version 2.4.3, realizing that the download contained the entire program.

The Window Installer error message, led me to try the upgrade as a patch, but that did not work either.

I update programs almost weekly, yet I've never encountered this problem.

NormanS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try this one perhaps: [Solved] Windows installer.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
NormanS

Post by NormanS »

The problem was solved by re-downloading a fresh (uncorrupted) copy of the OOo Install program.

NormanS