[Solved] MS Publisher 2002 Toolbars

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mipak

[Solved] MS Publisher 2002 Toolbars

Post by mipak »

i can't remember if i've posted this question before but if i have, my apologies in advance. i still haven't found the answer.

i've run openoffice for a while now ... great programme ... and use my own custom-made toolbars in calc and write. i know where the data is saved so can access it whenever the need arises.

i also run ms publisher 2002 and have created 2 custom-made toolbars for the top of the window too. however, despite the programme working well, i can't save them which is fine until the time comes when i have to delete and re-install it. result ... the custom-made toolbars are gone.

to re-do them is not difficult, just time wasting and irritating. publisher has the facility to do this so i'm puzzled why the data can't be saved.

the problem i'm having is finding where the data i'm looking for is stored ... and it has to be somewhere. once i know that ... problem solved.

so my question is this, does anyone know how or where do i save my 2 custom-made publisher toolbars or, if they're saved automatically which i doubt, in which folder or file is the data saved?

a pity openoffice hasn't got a publisher-equivalent programme.

if any more info. is needed from me, let me know. i'd be very grateful for any help please.

thank you.
Last edited by mipak on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OOo 4.1.7 running on W10P
keme
Volunteer

Re: ms publisher 2002 toolbars

Post by keme »

OpenOffice.org is an open source software. The philosophy behind that is basically to "reveal everything to everyone". Microsoft's philosophy is more along the lines of "hide your cards well", which mostly gives a more convoluted product. That said, the operation you request should be possible, at least in order to install the software in an enterprise network (often referred to as "deployment") with customised user interface.

Search in Microsoft support areas, using the keywords "Publisher" and "Deployment". You might get lucky. Then again, you may find that the preparations for saving and reinstalling your custom elements will be more work than redoing the toolbars.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

mipak wrote: a pity openoffice hasn't got a publisher-equivalent programme.
You might look at Scribus.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

You might want to look here: Microsoft Dscussion Groups. They have several groups dedicated to Publisher.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
mipak

Re: MS Publisher 2002 Toolbars

Post by mipak »

hi ...

and thanks to you all for your advice. sounds good.

only just got home so haven't really followed up anything yet apart from downloading scribus which i'm going to install shortly and see what it can and can't do. their website says it doesn't work the pub format unlike openoffice which can use the xls format. that's a pity because i have loads of .pub files. still ... i'll see what happens when scribus is up and running.

will definitely have a good look at the microsoft dscussion groups site and perhaps there is a valid point for not doing anything and put up with the not-too-difficult job of re-customing my toolbars.

i'll keep you posted.

michael.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Nothing opens Publisher files apart from Publisher.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
mipak

Post by mipak »

:( thanks :(
mipak

Post by mipak »

:D :D :D

had a good look at scribus but i don't think that the toolbars can be customised so that kind of knocks that idea out.

also had a bit of drama in trying to get into "microsoft dscussion groups" ... couldn't get past the signup section for some reason ... not impressed ... wasn't very user-friendly.

but the good news was when i typed in 'microsoft support' > publisher 2002.
this led me to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322117/en-us
which included:
Microsoft Windows XP
1. Start Windows Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
4. Click to clear Hide file extensions for known file types, and then click OK.
5. Locate the following folder
drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Publisher
where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and username is your Windows user name.
6. In the right pane, right-click Pubcmd.dat, and then click Rename.
7. Type Pubcmd.old, and then press ENTER.

i have always used windows explorer and have it readily available somewhere on screen as i consider it the most important programme on any computer. anyway, i ignored 2, 3 and 4 because i have nothing hidden (why does microsoft do this????? ... it's stupid) and easily found the .dat file.

the microsoft article is actually about how to convert a custom-made toolbar back to the ms default toolbar so i ignored 6 and 7.

although i've not yet put it to the test, i'm sure this is the file i've been looking for so will save a copy of it elsewhere on my computer which will enable me to drag and drop it after it becomes neccessary to delete/re-install publisher.

i hope all the above helps others who also want to keep their custom-made publisher toolbars after a re-install.

finally, my thanks to all who have helped me with their suggestions. it is very much appreciated.

cheers ... michael.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Good detective work!

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
mipak

Re: [Solved] MS Publisher 2002 Toolbars

Post by mipak »

now done ...
and thanks again ...
cheers ... michael.