[Solved] Support for xlsm? -> No

Discuss the spreadsheet application
bstott

[Solved] Support for xlsm? -> No

Post by bstott »

why does open office NOT support these files?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
open Office 4 onWindows 10
RusselB

Re: xlsm

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
OpenOffice doesn't support .xlsm files, due to the fact that they are macro-enabled and Microsoft's macro language is not the same as the macro language (actually languages, since there's more than one) that OpenOffice does support.

If you need to use a macro-enabled .xls file, then OpenOffice is not for you. I don't have any .xlsm files to test with, so LibreOffice might work, since there are reports of LibreOffice having a better compatibility with Microsoft Office.
If you try LibreOffice and you still can't use the .xlsm files, then, to my knowledge, using a version of Microsoft Office is your only option.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
bstott

Post by bstott »

So much for 'open' office. The reply does not answer the question WHY.

Open office deleted...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice does not claim, and has never claimed, to be a clone of MS Office. One can download it free; if it doesn't suit you, don't use it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Support for xlsm? -> No

Post by RusselB »

The answer to why is given in my reply.. but to make it simpler, the reason why is due to an incompatibility between macro languages.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
bstott

Post by bstott »

I'm not ~@ I cannot anyway as it can not deal with macro's, Libra Office however does!
Byeee... ;)
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I would be very cautious about accepting that a program can take code from another program and translate it reliably. The simpler the code, the more likely that is to be true. If your macros do critical calculations, where an error would have serious consequences, I would check the identity of the results very carefully. Failure to throw an error does not mean everything worked the same.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Libra Office
The name is LibreOffice.

Yes, the LibreOffice can run some xlsm macros, but not all of them.
You must rewrite your excel VBA macros based on the StarBasic (or an another supported programming language) and the API of the LibreOffice. API : Application Programming Interface.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.