[Solved] Using formula results to perform other calculations

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Hellebore

[Solved] Using formula results to perform other calculations

Post by Hellebore »

Hi there,

I'm new to calc and have been trying to build a points value calculator for a wargame. To this it needs to calculate results of different cells and multiply the the results.

I've got a set of conditional values, some may be active, some inactive. I've used checkboxes so they can be toggled when one is relevant. However I can't seem to get the results to multiply.

All my searches have said that the values (as formula results show up in green) can't be worked with until they're blue (numbers), but I can get other values to add together. These ones just don't seem to be able to multiply.

Is there a way I can check a box, have its result multiply other results, and output a value I can then add to other values?

Cheers
Attachments
calc image.PNG
Last edited by Hellebore on Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1; Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Using formula results to perform other calculations

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload a real .ods type sample file instead of the picture.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Let's see if I understood the problem correctly. In the attached file, only items next to a selected checkbox contribute to the calculation in cell H3.
Attachments
ConditionalProduct.ods
(10.7 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hellebore

Post by Hellebore »

Zizi64 wrote:Please upload a real .ods type sample file instead of the picture.
Apologies. I've attached the document I'm using. It's not exactly very neat though, I've kind of just layed it out in a fairly rough manner.

FJCC wrote:Let's see if I understood the problem correctly. In the attached file, only items next to a selected checkbox contribute to the calculation in cell H3.

I think that's what I'm looking for. Multiple check boxes on multiply each other and then I want to use the result of that, to multiply another number.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Attachments
draft CALCULATOR.ods
(14.89 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The problem with your formula in L27 is that you have your numbers in quotes. That turns them into text and you cannot do calculations with text. Try

Code: Select all

=IF(M27=1;1.25;IF(M27=0;1))
or simplified

=IF(M27;1.25;1)
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hellebore

Post by Hellebore »

FJCC wrote:The problem with your formula in L27 is that you have your numbers in quotes. That turns them into text and you cannot do calculations with text. Try

=IF(M27=1;1.25;IF(M27=0;1))
or simplified

=IF(M27;1.25;1)
Thank you very much, removing the quotes is all I needed to do.