Auto copy text in cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Paul Coombes

Auto copy text in cells

Post by Paul Coombes »

Hi all. new(ish) to this, but really struggling. Other than my small problem, the whole system is fast, easy and "almost idiot proof"
I am trying to set up a simple spreadsheet. Two halves on one sheet. Both sides are the same data with the base altered slightly and I am trying to auto copy what I insert on the left one to the right. All the currency cells calculate and copy 100%. My problem is auto copy text. All i get is the formula, but not the text.

Hope i'm stupid and this is very simple. Holding my breath.

Thank you in anticipation. Paul
:crazy:

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
open office 4.6.1 windows 1o
FJCC

Re: Open office calc

Post by FJCC »

If you set the format of a cell to be text and then enter a formula in that cell, the formula will be treated as text and not interpreted. Set the cell format to some kind of number and the formulas should work.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Paul Coombes

Re: Auto copy text in cells

Post by Paul Coombes »

Thank you for your reply. I must be super stupid. Tried but just wont work. Is there any way I can send you mu template to see why i cant sort it? feeling really dumb./ Thank you for your reply so far. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :knock: :ucrazy:
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Use the PostReply button, which will bring up a reply dialog that has a couple of tabs under it.
One of those tabs (usually the one on the right, and not selected by default) is Upload attachment.
Click that tab, then fill out the associated dialog that will appear under that tab to upload a copy of your template. Please note there is a 128Kb file size limitation.
If your file is bigger than that, then you'll need to upload it to a file sharing service, like MediaFire or Dropbox, then post a link here to the uploaded file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There is not Apache Openoffice 4.6.1 today.
That is Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 or LibreOffice 4.6.1
Please fix it in your signature.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

All i get is the formula, but not the text.
Are you textual and numeric data Copy-Pasted or Referenced in the target cell range?

When you preformat manually a cell range as Text, then the string of the formula will be appeared but not the result of the formula in it. Delete format properties (Ctrl-M) and then try again. Format the target cell range (by Cell Styles) after the pasting UNFORMATTED content or entering the formula.

Can you upload an .ods type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.