[Solved] Amortization Schedule Template problems

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dsaldridge

[Solved] Amortization Schedule Template problems

Post by dsaldridge »

I downloaded the Apache Amortization Schedule template and it worked well, but I can't save it without a password. Where do I get such a password?

Is there another Amortization Schedule template I can use instead that doesn't need a password? I want to do this so that it can be viewed in Excel.

TIA
Last edited by dsaldridge on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Amortization Schedule Template problems

Post by RusselB »

I just tested https://templates.openoffice.org/en/tem ... n-schedule
It saved without requiring a password, but there was a notification message telling me that the file I would be saving contained notes and asking me for confirmation that I did want to save the file.
If this isn't the same one you are using, please provide a link to the template that you downloaded so that the same template can be tested on other systems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

dsaldridge wrote:I downloaded the Apache Amortization Schedule template and it worked well, but I can't save it without a password.
File → Save As → uncheck Save with password → select directory and file name → Save.
Or select all the cells, Edit → Copy, open a new spreadsheet, Edit → Paste, and save that.
For additional assistance post a link to this "Apache Amortization Schedule template".
dsaldridge wrote:I want to do this so that it can be viewed in Excel.
Excel is not a clone of Calc. Calc files often open acceptably in Excel, but not all features translate from one product to the other. You should open the file in Excel to verify the translation instead of assuming all will be well. If others only need to view, use File → Export as PDF. This ensures anyone can view the file exactly as you see it whether they have Calc, Excel, or neither.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
dsaldridge

Post by dsaldridge »

Thank you. I found a different template that works much better, but still, it wouldn't save in .xls format without crashing OO, so I just saved it as a PDF. That will work fine for my purposes.

I realize that not all Calc docs save well as xls, nor do xls docs open properly in Calc, but I've never had a problem saving a calc sheet in xls before when it was done without a template. Something in the template makes it impossible to save. I tried saving it in the OO format, but when I tried to open it back up, it was saved in Writer and I couldn't make it save in Calc.

Anyway, it works o.k. for me now, so I'm happy.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

1) WIndows Vista is completely obsolete.
2) OpenOffice 3 is completely obsolete.
3) OpenOffice is almost obsolete. There is a successor https://libreoffice.org/ which handles MS Office file formats far better (but still not perfectly of course).
4) Neither OpenOffice nor LibreOffice is not a clone of MS Excel. If you want to work with xls(x), you have to use MS Office.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dsaldridge

Post by dsaldridge »

Well, if I could afford MS office, I would get it, but I live on less than $1,000 US a month, so that's that.

I don't have Vista or OO3. I have Win10 and some version of OO4. I'm aware of Libre Office and will likely be moving to that, because Apache has pretty much given up on OO.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Please use user Control Panel and update your forum signature to match the OS and OpenOffice/LibreOffice version that you are actually using.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.