Inability to print tall cells within OO Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
fletch92131

Inability to print tall cells within OO Calc

Post by fletch92131 »

Dear Apache,
I have a problem with OpenOffice Calc when trying to print a spreadsheet with extra-large (tall) cells at the end, due to my fellow Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) survivors sometimes needing to write with the opposite hand (nondominant). The first part of the spreadsheet when I print is fine, but when I try to include the last page of blank cells, Calc defaults to printing at the same format as before, making the cells too short and hard for these Brain Injury survivors to write their names other information inside the respective cells when I am trying to recruit new members every semester at school. This spreadsheet gives people the opportunity to be included on my weekly minutes of our Announcements sessions by email and share survivor stories with each other using the spreadsheet as information for contacting others. Am I making myself clear? Please Help! :crazy: :crazy:
Open Office proud user and advertiser for years now.
Richard A. Fletcher
Last edited by RusselB on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: E-mail and contact information removed to prevent spamming
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10 Home
RusselB

Re: Inability to print tall cells within OO Calc

Post by RusselB »

Quick suggestion is to use the Merge Cells option and merge two or three rows of cells.
I might have other suggestions but in order to try to eliminate some of them, I'd need to see a sample of your spreadsheet layout.
The easiest way to do this is for you to upload/attach a copy of your spreadsheet.
You can find information on how to do that, along with tips to anonymize your data, in this tutorial
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
fletch92131

Post by fletch92131 »

Thanks for your offer to take a look at my spreadsheet for signs of problems. Attached is a sanitized version of the current one with names only. You'll see that the last 50 rows or so are enlarged but unfortunately when I print that section, it comes out as formatted like the first page of names.
Thanks again for checking this and hopefully you can find something to allow me to print all of it as intended correctly.
Fletch'
Attachments
anony-ABI Master Networking Contact List-2019-09-14.xls
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

First off, stop using the .xls format.
Maintaining that format for your file will create more headaches due to inconsistencies between the information stored in a .ods Calc spreadsheet and a .xls Excel spreadsheet.
The simplest solution, I think, is for you to extend the print range.
You have a defined print range that goes to line 122, which is the last line that has a name in it.
Since the blank (double height) lines are after line 122, the print range doesn't include them.
Since you have the grid option checked in the Print options, including those cells in the print range should resolve your problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
fletch92131

Post by fletch92131 »

Russell,
it's me again with trouble as my recipients of this document are basically Microsoft dominant, and won't to be able to read it, or so I've been told in the past with simple text documents. That's why have been using the.xls format. Perhaps you can convince me that these folks can not only read the document but copy and paste into their own email contact list. By the way, my major problem now is I can't seem to define the print range to include the extra tall, double-height rows. I keep dragging the cursor down to row 200 to include all of that, but when I do a print preview, all it shows is a very small box of who knows what. Definitely not a blank cell/row.
Embarrassingly yours,
Fletch'
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You have a print range defined.
You have to either remove or edit that range.
Versions of MS Office (Excel) after 2007 can open .ods filed