HAVING TROUBLE WITH =IF FUNCTION

Discuss the spreadsheet application
folyeta

HAVING TROUBLE WITH =IF FUNCTION

Post by folyeta »

I am trying to write this code but am having trouble please someone help.
In C49 I am wanting the value of C29:C45 IF B29:B45 = MIDAMERICA
What am I doing wrong?

Code: Select all

=IF(B29:C45="MIDAMERICA";C29:C45)
Thanks in advance
Last edited by RusselB on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed toxic topic icon.. All caps replaced with sentence structure and code tags add by RusselB
APACHE OPEN OFFICE 4.1.6
WINDOWS 10
FJCC

Re: HAVING TROUBLE WITH =IF FUNCTION

Post by FJCC »

You cannot put the values of many cells into one cell. Why do you want to do this? What are you trying to achieve?

Please do not write in all caps. It looks like shouting.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you are wanting the value from column C if the value in the same row in column B matches your text, but only want the information placed in a single cell, then you could try this as an array formula, meaning that you would enter your formula, but instead of pressing Enter when done, you would press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Please note that if you have multiple matches, it's my understanding that only the first match will be returned.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

With an array formula you may get what you are after. One value for each referenced cell, in a new array.

However, I suspect that you need only one column returned. Use only column B in the first argument. Also, if you don't give the third argument, logical FALSE value is returned instead.

Code: Select all

=IF(B29:B45="MIDAMERICA";C29:C45;"---")
Entered with ctrl+shift+enter, this will fill 17 cells down, one for each cell in the range you are testing.

If you only want one single value returned, you may need the VLOOKUP() function instead of an array-IF()