Formula that deducts a percentage %

Discuss the spreadsheet application
smwaverider

Formula that deducts a percentage %

Post by smwaverider »

I need to use a row that has deducted a % eg. -17% from the amount in a previous row, so G1 would be the full amount and H1 would have the formula in with result. I cannot see how to make a small formula using percentages. I have only used 'sum' etc. before. Would be grateful for advice.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: Formula that deducts a percentage %

Post by RoryOF »

Write the calculation out longhand on a piece of paper and try to implement that. If you have no success, come back to this thread with what you have used. Remember that 17% is 17/100 of the amount.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
smwaverider

Post by smwaverider »

thank you. Yes I realise that 17% has to be 17/100. However I know that to find 17% of for example 100, on a calculator it would be 100 x 17%. Being fairly new to spreadsheet formulas, I have only used the - or + sums before. I cannot see how to use a multiplication as entering x in formula shows error. I tried this H1=G1 x17/100. It accepts a formula and gives a result if I use -, not x, but of course that is the wrong result. Should be a simple formula for some of you experienced users.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

When you type 17% into a cell, 0.17 is the value you actually enter. You can see the true value when you clear the formatting [Ctrl+M]. The way how a number is displayed, the number format, has no influence on calculation results.
The program calculates with decimal cell values that can have up to 15 significant digits. Even when calculating dates and times, these values are treated as day numbers and fractions of days.
Number formats do not apply to text values. It is possible to enter or import numeric characters as text. The text "00123" is not a number.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It is simple arithmetic.

If 17% is 17/100 or .17, then the result you are looking for is 1 - 17/100 or .83 So the result you want in this case is original_amount multiplied by .83

In general, where x is the percentage by which to reduce the original amount
Result = (1-x/100) multiplied by Original_Amount

To learn about the arithmetic operators in Calc, search the online help for operators where you will find the multiplication operator.

As you are new to spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
smwaverider

Post by smwaverider »

that's is very helpful thanks a lot. I will play. around with that and see where I get. Will also look at the help guides