[Solved] Calc changes values to lowercase

Discuss the spreadsheet application
swiftmallard

[Solved] Calc changes values to lowercase

Post by swiftmallard »

Using OpenOffice Calc, I enter an alphanumeric value in a cell, for example: "654Alpha" (without the quotes). As soon as I click on another cell, the A changes to the lowercase a. The same thing happens if I try to save the file as soon as I enter a value. The cells are formatted for text. Caps lock is not set. How can I stop this from happening?
Last edited by swiftmallard on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Calc changes values to lowercase

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I am unable to verify what you have stated.
I entered the alphanumeric string as you stipulated as well as in different but similar methods.
Each time the characters I entered remained exactly as entered.
Can you use the PostReply button, then click the Upload attachment tab, then fill in the dialog to attach a copy of your sheet that shows the problem.
Since I'm unable to replicate the problem, it might be something to do with your settings, which I might be able to determine by viewing a file that was created on your system.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
swiftmallard

Post by swiftmallard »

I would rather not display the sheet. But your suggestion gave me the idea to begin another sheet and see if the issue persists, it does not. I tried editing other cells with the similar format and they function properly. I tried deleting and reentering the entire line, same issue. I tried reentering the info on another line, same issue. If I insert a space "654 Alpha" it works fine, but 654Alpha changes the A to a
Last edited by swiftmallard on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

A guess - maybe you have Autoinput activated (Tools - Cell Content - AutoInput) and there is an earlier entry with the string in lower case.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
swiftmallard

Post by swiftmallard »

robleyd wrote:A guess - maybe you have Autoinput activated (Tools - Cell Content - AutoInput) and there is an earlier entry with the string in lower case.
I unchecked AutoInput and the issue resolved. AutoInput is something I can do without anyhow. Thank you for the advice!
 Edit: I saved the table without AutoInput, then turned it on after the save and everything remained as it should. Nice workaround!