[Solved] Staring List for Golf competition

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Scarsax2018

[Solved] Staring List for Golf competition

Post by Scarsax2018 »

Hi,
I am struggling to make a starting list of players in teams of 4 with a mix of handicaps. I have attached the file I am working. I am not able to figure out whether my approach is the right one. Basically I wnat to choose the teams four per tee time, 1 player with handicap > 10, 2 > 20>10, 2 >30>20, 4 >29.
The second problem comes when the number of players is not divisible by 4, then it will be a mixture of teams of 4 and teams of 3.
Hopefully some clever person has solved this in the past,
Thank you
Attachments
Start Team list.xls
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by Scarsax2018 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Mac Os 10.11.6
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Staring List for Golf competition

Post by Bill »

I don't understand your handicap criteria. "1 player with handicap > 10" means "1 player with handicap greater than 10". "2 > 20 > 10" means "2 greater than 20 greater than 10" which is nonsense. Are you saying that each of the players on a team should have a handicap within a different specified range? In the real world, you would have to hand pick the players from a larger pool to reliably satisfy that criteria.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Scarsax2018

Post by Scarsax2018 »

Sorry it should be player 1 handicap <= 10 ; Player 2 handicap >10<=20; Player 3 >20<=30; Player 4 >30
Scarsax2018

Post by Scarsax2018 »

The intention is that each teams combined handicap is approximately the same, one low handicap, one a bit higher and so on.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Like Bill (He has a handicap of only 2!) I cannot see a promising approach in what you (Scarsax2018) wrote. On the other hand I never played golf, and I only know it's a game with tiny balls and dangerous clubs on huge areas. (I recently stayed one night at "Losby Gods Manor" nearby Oslo.)

I suppose you wouldn't try anyway to get the teams by the software, but just to get some support in forming them interactively using a spreadsheet. Liking tinkering more than writing long explanations I made a demo of how I think you can get support. I basically assumed, you want to get the average player's handicap per team to be about the same as the overall handicap of the listed players.

See attached demo. Unfortunately some still unfixed bugs of AOO Calc spoil the full working of the demo which was made and working satisfyingly in LibO V 6.3.0.2RC. Thinkable workarounds (except one) seemed too complicated.

(By the way: .xls is not the appropriate filetype for AOO /LibO.)

===Editing===
Thanks to Villeroy! He pointed me to the fact that I had attached a wrong example to this post.
Now fixed, I hope.
Attachments
aoo98993golfStartTeams_1.ods
(20.22 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Last edited by Lupp on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't know how to go about selecting players for teams to minimize the difference in average handicaps between the teams, but I'd just sort the players by handicap then select 2 players from the bottom of the sorted list and 2 players from the top of the sorted list for for each 4-player team. For the 3-player teams, select 1 player from the bottom, 1 player from the top and one player from the middle. If there will be 3-player teams, then the number of 4-player teams and 3-player teams should be determined before actually making the selections.

If the total number of players isn't evenly divisible by 3, and you select the maximum number of 4-player teams, there would be from 1 to 3 leftover player(s) and you would have to pull 1 player from some of the 4-player teams to add to the leftover player(s) until the team with the leftover player(s) has 3 players. In your case, you have 17 players, which could make (4) 4-player teams with 1 leftover player, so you would have to pull 1 player from 2 of the 4-player teams, and you would end up with (2) 4-player teams and (3) 3-player teams.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Scarsax2018

Post by Scarsax2018 »

I am beginning to think this is not possible to automate except with a series of macros and even then it is complicated.