[Solved] Cell formula total is too big to fit into cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mileena

[Solved] Cell formula total is too big to fit into cell

Post by mileena »

Hi, I have a cell on an OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet that will only fit a bold-face currency amount up to "$999.99", due to width constraints for the column. I cannot make the column any wider as I have no more space without another column spilling over to another page, which I don't want.

The problem is I need to fit "$1,681.80" into the that cell, which is the total from a formula. How do I do it? The screenshot is below. I really don't want to use a smaller font or point size, as it is pretty small as it is. I don't mind if the amount spills over to another cell, but right now, only pound signs are appearing: "###".
cell-contetns-too-large-edited.jpg
cell-contetns-too-large-edited.jpg (6.6 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Thanks!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 7 Home 64-Bit on my desktop
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit on my laptop
FJCC

Re: Cell formula total is too big to fit into cell

Post by FJCC »

I think the options are using a smaller font, changing the format of the number to drop significant digits or the $ symbol, or merging the cell with its neighbor.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mileena

Post by mileena »

FJCC wrote:I think the options are using a smaller font, changing the format of the number to drop significant digits or the $ symbol, or merging the cell with its neighbor.
Yay! I did it by merging. Thank you! I never knew you could do that.

BTW, to the administrator: the OpenOffice wiki page needs to be updated. It has the incorrect menus for how to merge a cell:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... ting_cells
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Be warned, using merged cells can cause calculation difficulties if you aren't very careful, since the data is in one cell yet appears in another.
My recommendation would be to remove the bold, given the other restrictions fom the OP....and go to merging only if removing the bold is insufficient
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Re: WikiPage
That information is based on the 3.x version of OpenOffice.
To my knowledge, no one here has the ability to change that information.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mileena

Post by mileena »

RusselB wrote:Be warned, using merged cells can cause calculation difficulties if you aren't very careful, since the data is in one cell yet appears in another.
My recommendation would be to remove the bold, given the other restrictions fom the OP....and go to merging only if removing the bold is insufficient
Thanks RusselB! What I did was make the resultant formula right aligned, so it is under the correct column. The column to the left does not use formulae at all.

I also tried removing bolding, but it was still too big. I am happy with the merge though!
RusselB wrote:Re: WikiPage
That information is based on the 3.x version of OpenOffice.
To my knowledge, no one here has the ability to change that information.
Ok, got it. Not a big deal. I just just had to search a while in the program to find out how to merge cells.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Cell formula total is too big to fit into cell

Post by RusselB »

If the formula is in column C and you merge it with column D, right aligning it will make the result appear in D, but the formula is still in C.

As to merging the cells, that is explained in the help file that was installed as part of your OpenOffice installation.
mileena

Re: [Solved] Cell formula total is too big to fit into cell

Post by mileena »

RusselB wrote:If the formula is in column C and you merge it with column D, right aligning it will make the result appear in D, but the formula is still in C.

As to merging the cells, that is explained in the help file that was installed as part of your OpenOffice installation.
Ok, thanks RusselB. The formula was originally in column D (along with the rest of my numbers), but I merged with column C and then right aligned it.
OpenOffice 4.1.4