Row height not sticking

Discuss the spreadsheet application
wendi

Row height not sticking

Post by wendi »

Win10Pro64, OO4.1.6. I have large spreadsheet filled with text. "Wrap text automatically" is selected for all cells. Many cells do contain enough text to wrap, some four or five lines worth. I've "selected all" (ctrl A), and used "optimum row height" for all rows. At this point, all is good, and all text is visible. But... if I save, quit, and re-start, many rows are now not tall enough to show all of the text that they contain. I can again select all, and select optimum row height, and all will be good, but only for that session. Any ideas on what I can do to preserve the row height?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Row height not sticking

Post by robleyd »

Are you saving in OpenOffice format, i.e. .ods? If not, please try saving as .ods and see what happens.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
wendi

Post by wendi »

Hi robleyd. Thanks for replying. I've been saving it as .xls, but I just tried .ods as you suggested. It behaves exactly the same in both formats.

As a test, I noted a particular row that opened with a row height of 0.52. After "optimum row height", that row grew to 0.71. After saving, closing, and reopening, that row is again 0.52. Another row behaved similarly, growing from 0.85 to 0.89, but reverting to 0.85 upon reloading.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you uploadf a small, ODF type sample file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
wendi

Post by wendi »

Hi Zizi64. I can't send you my actual file, because it has confidential information. I created a new spreadsheet, and after a bit of playing around, I was able to create an example. It's not as extreme as on my real spreadsheet, but the row height does change. If it behaves the same for you as it does for me, you'll see that it opens with row A at 0.85, and the text is a just a bit squished on top. There is also a little red triangle indicating some missing text. Perform "optimum row height", and the height will grow to 0.89. Save, quit, and restart, and the height will be back to 0.85. At least that's what it just did for me.
Attachments
test.ods
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The row height does not change for me. It opened with the right height and saving the file, closing OpenOffice and reopening the file caused no change in the row height. I do not have a suggestion of how to change the behavior you are seeing but I will think about it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
wendi

Post by wendi »

FJCC. Thanks for jumping in. What was the row height that you saw?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Yes, I can see some changing between 2.03 cm and 2.11 cm when is set the "optimal height" and then I reopen the saved state.
(I am using LibreOffice 6.1.6 and SI units.)

2.03 cm is the original state, that will be changed to 2.11 cm by usage the "Optimal height" function, and then it will be reset to 2.03 cm automatically after reopening the saved file.

The manual setting to 2.11 cm will be permanently saved into the file.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
wendi

Post by wendi »

You are correct. I confirmed it with my spreadsheet. So did I discover a bug?