A3 21
A4 4
A5 98
A6 12
A7 44
A8 22
A9 115
A10 39

When I have to select 5 (five) cells and the first one is A8 (22) my select begins at A8 and must to finish at A2 (17).
How can I make a formula that restart from begining?
Thanks in advance
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RusselB

Re: Select cells in particular sequence

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Generally speaking the order in which a range of cells is selected has no bearing on how the data in that range is handled.
Example: Selecting the cells from A8 to A2 and then summing the relevant values is no different from selecting the cells from A2 to A8 and then summing.
In fact, I can't think of a single function where the specific order of the range is relevant.
Can you please explain why it is necessary for the range to be selected as you have specified?
or am I misunderstanding your question? If this, please try to explain what it is you are trying to accomplish
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Osmario

Post by Osmario »

Thanks for your answer.
I was enough clear, sorry.
I need count, not select. If I have a large range, for instance, with 800 cells in a column.

Bert regards
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The COUNT function also does not care the order of the cells in the range.
In fact I can't think of a single spreadsheet function where the order of the range matters.
Counting in sequences of 5, restarting at the next entry for 800 entries is going to be the same count as counting the 800 all at once.
Again, if you can explain what it is you are wanting in the long run, we might be able to save you time from asking for help at each step.
If you do need to count through a looping progression, then a macro is needed.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.