Stopwatch timing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ndiniz2012

Stopwatch timing

Post by ndiniz2012 »

I'm doing some calculations for average game times for pinball machines I'll be playing in a few months by using my phone's built in stopwatch (as part of the clock application), and I'd like to create a formula that allows me to calculate total time and average time. Is this possible, and if it is, what formula should I use?
robleyd

Re: Stopwatch timing

Post by robleyd »

You'll need to consider what information you need to store to achieve your goal. What is meant by "total time"?

If you mean elapsed time for one game, then you'll need to store start and finish times and subtract start from finish. Supposing your start time is in A2 and finish time is in B2, then in C2 simply =B2-A2 would give you the elapsed time.

If you have a column, say C with a number of elapsed times, you could use the AVERAGE function to get an average. This is all fairly basic stuff.

If you are new to spreadsheets, you may find the following to be useful resources.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know

OpenOffice Spreadsheet Tutorial for Beginners with Examples
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
ndiniz2012

Post by ndiniz2012 »

Total time is the time taken to complete a whole game of pinball, including extra balls. I have made a custom format available with hundredths of a second capability.

By the way, I do believe I have more than one account, and the email address I currently use is no longer in operation. I cannot change my nathandiniz AT comcast dot net email address to my main email address, or an alternate one.
 Edit: Email address munged so you don't invite spam; I have sent a PM about the email change [robleyd, Mod] 
F3K Total
Volunteer

Post by F3K Total »

Hi,
lets say you have your stopped periods in cells A2:A40
then you can use:

Code: Select all

=AVERAGE(A2:A40)
and

Code: Select all

=SUM(A2:A40)
R
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO