[Solved] Grouping and sorting

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Grouping and sorting

Postby macjohn79 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 pm

I've worked with OO a small amount is working with lists and comparing. from sheet to sheet. in image of "MAIN" the used function is shown in the bar at the top.
It works well, but i'd like to add a step to my sorting (the example is not optimal, as sometimes there are multiple status for various parts in a given number. What i'm attempting to do, is take the status out of the line on the parts sheet sheet and enter it onto the main sheet on the proper row to make the main (ro number) corresponds on both. tryinf to take data off imported sheet and then use it in my data entry sheets.
Attachments
PARTS SHEET.PNG
MAIN.PNG
Last edited by macjohn79 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open office 4.1 / windows 7
macjohn79

Re: Grouping and sorting

Postby MrProgrammer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 pm

macjohn79 wrote:in image of "MAIN"
You are more likely to get assistance if you attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). The images you provided are of little value, like taking a picture of your car's engine to a mechanic and asking them for help.

macjohn79 wrote:the example is not optimal
If you provide an example which doesn't demonstrate the actual situation, you risk receiving an answer which works for the example but doesn't help you because you can't extend the solution to additional complexities which you didn't show us.

macjohn79 wrote:on the proper row
You might need to explain in more detail which row is proper. This may be obvious to you but not to someone else. Perhaps it will be easier to understand when you supply documents instead of pictures, perhaps not.

macjohn79 wrote:i'd like to add a step to my sorting
Unless you are sorting with Data → Sort, explain in more detail how the "sort" is accomplished. I've learned that sometimes people write "sort" when then mean something other than Data → Sort.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on MacOS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby macjohn79 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Ok, so I import the file or cut and paste it into the "parts sheet" sheet, use my =isnumber to match numbers and flag using a true false color change i was able to fashion using help from this forum. i then go in and used the manufactures web based utility to enter each RO number and then manually write in the status on the two sheets listed "Warranty racks(downstairs)" and "Airbags (upstairs)". what i'm looking for direction on, and i don't know if i can use a macro, or a function, or it's not possible. is to take data from the "G" column (scrap, hold, ReturnPart, Core) and move it to the sheet that the RO number exists on, with a possible hierarchy or sorting (wrong word to use, but the idea is what i'm shooting for) so if it says hold on any entry with that ro number, the sheet (warranty racks or airbags) just lists hold, and if not, something that lets me know to check status manually. and if i'm to dream big, adding the column "H" that is date last modified, to change a status or color if the date is over 60 days old.

the uploaded copy, has the latest additions to the parts sheet, and I've not yet gone through manually to sort using the same online tool that provides the data I'm using.

mr.moderator, thank you for your help, understanding and direction.

john
Attachments
DEMO COPY.ods
(39.75 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Open office 4.1 / windows 7
macjohn79

Postby Villeroy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:05 pm

You use Calc as if it were a database program. Calc is a calculator with some list keeping facilities and with pivot tables. The most sophisticated formulas with thousands of lines of macro code will not come close to a database program. If you use a spreadsheet like this, you have to be very clear about the implications. References may get lost, may not expand properly. Visible cell values may differ from actual cell values. Huge documents may crash with all the data in memory.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Calc