[Solved] Converting text to date

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jgriffs@comcast.net

[Solved] Converting text to date

Post by jgriffs@comcast.net »

Solved. I have a date column which currently is text (' 6/12/19). I can get the date to show as non-text (06/12/19) with a =VALUE(CELL ADDRESS)
Obviously, the formula is in the cell. I can't format what I see as a date - making the cell no longer have a formula.
My goal is to have something in a cell which I can then format as mm/dd/yy for sorting purposes. The resulting date should be 06/12/16. Without the mm, sorts don't work.
Last edited by jgriffs@comcast.net on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Re: CONVERTING TEXT TO DATE

Post by robleyd »

You may find this post answers your question.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
jgriffs@comcast.net

Post by jgriffs@comcast.net »

David, Thanks for the reply. However, it seems you intended to direct me to a particular post but nothing followed your "You may find this post answers your question."
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Click on the blue "this post"; it is a hyperlink.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Re: Converting text to date

Post by MrProgrammer »

jgriffs@comcast.net wrote:i have a date column which currently is text (' 6/12/19). I can get the date to show as non-text (06/12/19)
Read [Tutorial] Text to Columns where conversions of this type are explained. Tell the dialog you have dates (Column Type) and specify the format. 6/12/19 is ambiguous; it could be December 6 or June 12. You must tell Calc the format using the Text Import dialog. Be sure to read Q41/A41.
jgriffs@comcast.net wrote:i have a date column which currently is text (' 6/12/19). … The resulting date should be 06/12/16.
Wouldn't you want 06/12/19?
jgriffs@comcast.net wrote:Without the mm, sorts don't work.
Wrong!! Read sections 2. Controlling how data is displayed and 3. Dates in cells in Ten concepts that every Calc user should know. It is not possible to have a date, as explained in section 3, which does not have a month. Sorting is based on the cell's value. Dates will sort in calendar order regardless of how they're formatted.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).