Cal/OpenOffice crashing: Save, Bad Allocation, various

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Imul

Cal/OpenOffice crashing: Save, Bad Allocation, various

Post by Imul »

Hi,

Since a few days I have a problem with OpenOffice. I'm not sure if it's Calc, Writer or any of the other applications that are the cause, but I experience it in both Calc and Writer.

I have a clean install of OpenOffice without any add-ons/extensions/whatsoever.

The documents I'm experiencing the problems with are hardly worth mentioning as far as size goes (20KB each), the spreadsheet only has text, no formula's or whatsoever, I have no pictures in either of the documents.

When does it occur:
1. upon simply writing something (no email address, no url, just plain text)
2. upon saving

I get either of these problems:
1. Freezing: The program locks up, I can't do anything anymore. Clicking the red cross to close it doesn't work. Closing the program through my task manager only seems to remove it form the taskmanager, but not from actual running. The program remains in my screen. When I restarted my laptop Windows even told me OpenOffice was still running and thus preventing a shutdown/restart.
2. Crashing without an error code.
3. Crashing with Bad allocation.

Steps taken:
1. First I had OpenOffice 4.1.5 installed and only experienced problem 1. I deleted my userprofile, but the problem kept persisting.
2. Installed 4.1.6 over 4.1.5 (as I read that I didn't need to do a un-install) first. Problem kept persisting
3. Uninstalled OpenOffice and the user profile (this doesn't get deleted upon uninstalling)
4. Installed 4.1.6. Problem keeps persisting.

Weird thing is, it is not upon every save command. I can't pinpoint when exactly it occurs.

I read a windows update could be the culprit, but the update the other post referred to has a different number than the last update that was done on June 12 on my laptop.

OpenOffice 4.1.6 is installed without any add-ons/extensions nor any changes.

I also read about some xcmu file or something? But I have no idea if that is related to my issue, so I'd rather not touch it.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: Cal/OpenOffice crashing: Save, Bad Allocation, various

Post by RoryOF »

Check that Win10 is fully updated, then restart your computer. OO does not do incremental or secret updates, so the problem is most likely caused by Win10 updating, or some other program installed on your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Imul

Post by Imul »

Thanks @RoryOF, Apparently today my laptop is updating so that might have been it. :)
If not, I'll check back in here.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the one occasion I had anything serious to do with Win10 (a previously owned computer I purchased about six months ago), it needed updating. After leaving it to update overnight from a 256KB internet line I decided that life was not long enough and just reformatted the hard disk, installing Xubuntu alone on the machine instead of dual booting with Xubuntu and Win10.
Imul

Post by Imul »

I'm running a Win10 only laptop :D, bought new half a year ago.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My point was merely that Win10 updates might take quite a long time!
fxguthri

Post by fxguthri »

Hi all,

Like many of us, I have experienced CALC lock-ups and occasional crashes.

I recently tried to puzzle this out as to why.

I have a fairly large s/s I use for my banking that I've used and modified for more than 12 years.

The lock-ups are very annoying as they can last minutes and happen frequently, even from the very first cell entry.

I tried many things and searched all over for as to why for a very long time. The many comments and suggestions did not work. Apparently this has been an issue for many years with users.

Tonight I tried something simple, but not so obvious . . .

I turned off AUTO-SAVE.

The problem has NOT returned.

Obviously, I now have to be studious about doing manual saves - easily handled with CTRL S.

I hope this helps others and looking for feedback . . . pro or con.

Good luck. :)
OpenOffice 4.1.6, AOO416m1(Build:9790) - Rev. 1844436, 2018-10-23 12:57. W10 PRO
Imul

Post by Imul »

@RoryOF That is so true! Luckily I've experienced such a long update not often. Usually it hardly takes time.

@fxguthri Thanks for the tip! I'll try that if I run into problems again. It goes against my instinctds, but it's worth a short :)
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

@fxguthri
AutoSave isn't what you appear to think it is; it is in fact called Save AutoRecovery Information and saves the information that allows AOO to recover your open documents if AOO is terminated unexpectedly. It DOES NOT replace a normal save, either via Ctrl+S, File | Save or the save icon on your toolbar.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Disabling the saving of Autorecovery information may also help with stability of inserted graphics in Writer and Impress - at least, I have found it so.

My thinking (only thinking - not tested) is that this process does not correctly restore the pre-save environments, and in the case of Calc may introduce a memory leak, which leads to the crash.
fxguthri

Post by fxguthri »

It's bac-c-c-c-k !

Why - why - why????

Apparently David is correct in that AutoSave is NOT what I thought it was. So why did it seem to 'solve' the issue for a time?

How confounding!!!!!!

Darn it.
OpenOffice 4.1.6, AOO416m1(Build:9790) - Rev. 1844436, 2018-10-23 12:57. W10 PRO
1-to-go

Post by 1-to-go »

I don't see anymore posts since June and no solution to date. I am having the exact same issue. I have OpenOffice 4.1.7 and when using either Cal or Writer, the programs will lock up and require the "end task" from the task manager or a box saying "bad allocation" pops up. I started saving my files often after this happened a few times. I then:

- rebooted my laptop (who knows.. computers can be picky) Nope, not it
- checked my laptop for updates Nope, not it
- uninstalled OpenOffice and did a clean sweep to get all the registry files and everything gone
- emptied recycle bin, deleted cookies, all that little stupid stuff
- restarted laptop and downloaded a new copy of the installer
- reinstalled aannnnnnnnd, Nope, not it. Still locks up or gives the me the box saying "bad allocation."

Honestly, at first, it was like a challenge. "Oh man! How much can I get done and saved before it crashes?!?" I do keep the recovery thing on so I don't lose an entire body of work. I do lose the end chunk of what I was working on and just have to go back and redo it. I have gone from playful expletives to more colorful ones, though.

I've used OpenOffice since it was just a cute little baby and have loved it all this time. Somebody heeeeeellllp this crashing thing. I am officially out of my "turn it off and turn it back on again" league.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10 Home
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the Calc forum with bad allocation.

I quickly found that it seems to be a bug which only affects very large files - see Issue 125006 - Calc Consistently crashing, usually with "Fatal Error - Bad Allocation"

You might like to switch to LibreOffice and see if LO is better as it is almost certain never to be fixed in AOO - it was reported in 2014.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
1-to-go

Post by 1-to-go »

Thank you for responding. I went ahead and switched to Libre. I loved it at first, but the latest version kept crashing, so I installed an earlier version. Things were awesome until last week. Spreadsheets crash, even text documents. I've just got to go back over to those forums and see if I can find what's up.

Again, thank you for responding.
Last edited by 1-to-go on Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.