Calc ignoring page breaks when pasting

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Fallynn

Calc ignoring page breaks when pasting

Post by Fallynn »

I'm trying to copy info from a txt file. When I paste it in to calc, it attempts to paste several different lines in to the same cell. When I look at the spot where the line break is supposed to be, sure enough, there's the symbol that looks like a bent arrow, so it knows what it's supposed to be doing but doesn't do it.

Any tips on what to do?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Calc ignoring page breaks when pasting

Post by Zizi64 »

When I paste it in to calc, it attempts to paste several different lines in to the same cell. When I look at the spot where the line break is supposed to be, sure enough, there's the symbol that looks like a bent arrow, so it knows what it's supposed to be doing but doesn't do it.
As you can insert a hard line break (Enter) or a soft line break (Shift-Enter) into a document in the Writer application, the text file may contains these two type of the line break characters. And the Calc will recognize only the "hard" ones as a "New Row command". The "soft" ones will be recognized as Line feed inside a cell.

You must replace the soft line breaks from your text by a text editor before you paste it into a Calc document.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Fallynn

Post by Fallynn »

I figured that might be it so I went in and deleted all the white space in between sentences then retyped them with the enter key. It still did it.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload some sample files here. (.txt and .ods)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.