Tables in 4.1.3 version?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
laffeetaffee

Tables in 4.1.3 version?

Post by laffeetaffee »

I don't seem to have any option to add a table in OpenOffice Calc. Google searches have said that there should be a "Table" option on the main overhead menu, but there isn't.

I'm trying specifically to add columns within a column. The way I did that in Excel was to add a table. That doesn't seem to be in this program. Anyone have suggestions?
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Tables in 4.1.3 version?

Post by Lupp »

A welcome at the beginning since this is your first post.

You cannot start using a complex software by asking google. Uninformed questions will result in uninformed answers.

The term "table" or "Tabelle" may be used in one or another locale in Calc. Using an English UI it are spreadsheets (or 'Sheet' in short) where you can enter contents, apply tools, and get results based on formulae - which is the main feature of any spreadsheet software since decades.

An item of the main menu labeled "Table" only is offered in Writer, the text processor of "our" software.

First of all read the most basic parts of the guides. You can find them starting at https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation for older versions, but there were no relevant changes insofar.

(If you will use open and free office software in the long run for increasingly complicated tasks, you should consider to switch to LibreOffice, which is under more continuous development including bug fixes. If you need to switch later you would have to learn a lot about the menues, the tools, and the labeling anew since the user interfaces which were originally the same now differ significantly.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
MrProgrammer

Re: Tables in 4.1.3 version?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
laffeetaffee wrote:I'm trying specifically to add columns within a column.
This is not possible in Calc. Columns cannot be subdivided. However you can shift any columns to the right farther right so additional space is available for data. Formulas referencing the moved columns are automatically adjusted.
laffeetaffee wrote:Google searches have said that there should be a "Table" option on the main overhead menu, but there isn't.
Calc has no Table menu. Writer (the text component of OpenOffice) has a Table menu. Perhaps you can use Writer instead of Calc. You haven't provided enough information to me to know using Writer would be appropriate.
laffeetaffee wrote:The way I did that in Excel …
Excel is a spreadsheet program. Calc is a different spreadsheet program. Many features are available in both programs, however, both have features the other lacks. Neither program claims to be a clone of the other. Most tasks which can be accomplished in Calc can be accomplished in Excel, and vice versa, though the process may be different. If you are new to Calc you are encouraged to read [Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know.
laffeetaffee wrote:I don't seem to have any option to add a table in OpenOffice Calc.
I sense The XY Problem in this post, where Y is "I want to create a table" and X is unspecified. I won't offer further assistance without knowing X, the real goal.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).